1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I get the sense that with a couple exceptions, very few NBA teams are deterred at all by firing a coach who has a shitload of $$$ left on their deal. It's why if you're a top college coach, the asking price should be at least twice what they're getting from their schools, which I'm assuming would be $7-$8 mil a year for someone like Calipari or Donovan.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They shouldn't be. In any capped sport, teams should spend as much as they need to on substantive costs that don't count under the cap. It's a rare opportunity to gain a competitive advantage for "just" money.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I truly wonder how much difference most coaches make in the NBA. I think the best ones are the guys who can get the most out of superstars without pissing them off or getting feuding stars to play nice. But most teams don't have that problem.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

ESPN says Kerr to Golden State.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I am very enthusiastic that Kerr will be a coach who can lead the Ws deeper into the playoffs. He's a guy who's played in the league, won, and played for tow of the greatest coaches while still keeping a modest ego. He was a GM for several years already. He was ready to be a head coach.

Most importantly, I think he's a smart person; someone who was always filing away his player experiences, not just playing. He'll apply what he knows to do the best job that he can do. That will be his greatest asset. Oh and he gets along with the owner too.

6. Guy_Incognito

As a Knicks fan, this is exactly what we should have expected. What a mess.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Why not get Mark Jackson? Does Phil Jackson control everyone with his Zen so much that it seemed like Kerr was the only guy they wanted? How is a guy who has never been a head coach such a lock to be a great coach?

8. Guy_Incognito

Not a chance. Phil will get one of his guys, as he should. Not sure who's plan B.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It sounds like there wasn't a plan B. Kerr seems to have the makings of a good coach, but it's not like
    he's proven anything yet. Heard Shaw and Cleamons mentioned. I'd take Jackson over them, but guess
    it's not gonna happen.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I heard Dolan didn't want to shell out the fifth year to Kerr. There is just no way Phil Jackson is there when his contract ends.
    I don't think it's not getting Kerr so much, the Knicks will find a decent coach - but Jackson isn't going to want to spend the next five years on knees.

(begging, he'd be on his knees begging you sick turds).

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, Warriors come out swinging. They definitely have their vision in place now, we'll see how it works.

I still never like the owner's son being part of the decision making. That doesn't tend to work out well.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And two of the marquee jobs in the NBA, Knicks and Lakers, still open.

Draft saved Draft deleted