1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 22, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

IMHO SVG makes sense; he's an established coach who got the best out of his players, he emphasizes D; I recall Howard had some quotes before he left about how SVG would not tolerate lack of effort; which I love; and he's an original Bay Area guy.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I still don't get the fascination with Kerr. Is it like Gruden, they like him because he's on TV, sitting next to Marv, even?

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Annnnnnd, another....

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2014/05/cleveland_cavaliers_david_grif.html#incart_river

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Twitterez seem to have SVG headed to Pistons, Kerr to Knicks. Table scraps for Golden State?

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

If SVG goes to Detroit and not Golden State (assuming both were options for him), I wonder what the hell is wrong with the Golden State situation -- Ownership? Expectations?.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Think ownership is not looking good here.

Joe Lacob comes from venture capital and is very comfortable with changing personnel just to change -- he compared the Warriors not to, say, the Spurs or Heat or another NBA team but to the companies he has run that inevitably ditch their founder/CEO when the circumstances change.

Lacob also had a very telling quote about Jackson: I think Mark in his next job probably needs to do a better job managing up and sideways, is one way to put it. Managing down, managing to his players, obviously a pretty good job. Most of his players seemed to really like playing for him. They played hard for him. Which is really important in the NBA. I think if you asked him, I think he would realize – maybe give him some time to answer this – that he probably could do a little better job of managing up and sideways, is the way to put it.

To me that's a pretty big culture difference from the rest of the NBA -- you have to "manage up," i.e. please your bosses rather than just win. Everywhere else, if you get results and you reach the players, they don't care about the rest. Combine that with the circumstance of Lacob's son being one of the people on the receiving end of the "managing up," and the report that Jackson and Lacob's son had a big blow-up, and it sounds like at least the perception is that you have a meddlesome front office that doesn't just want to sit back and watch a winner but rather wants to invent the best way to do things and damn well wants credit for that invention.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Playing in the West.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The major difference is SVG wants total control over basketball operation wherever he goes. Golden State won't give it to him. Detroit will.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Given the expectations and the dynamics in Oakland, I don't think the Warriors job is that desirable.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 3h
    Golden State's management group is headed to Oklahoma City to make a final push for Steve Kerr, sources tell Yahoo. Kerr has TNT game there.

------

If they don't look like some damn arrogant amateurs already, they will after Kerr turns them down and their options are limited to People Who Are Definitely A Step Down From Mark Jackson.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

There's a hell of a lot more talent in Golden State than there is in Detroit.

12. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

The Cavaliers are turning into as big of a joke as they were when Ted Stepien owned the team. Good lord, canning Brown again after one year? Still owe him four years at $5 mill per? Why did they hire him in the first place? Why did they give him five years? Who would want that job now?

Draft saved Draft deleted