1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NBA Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Looking it up, Popovich has coached the Spurs since December 1996. Second on the list is Erik Spoelstra, who took over the Heat in April 2008.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Six years is second place? That's insane.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Most college coaches have terrible job security, too. That's why they negotiate "extensions" that go 15 years out -- so they can get a settlement when they get canned.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's not like the NBA. Not even close.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In college, coaches get fired for not winning enough. Granted, the definition of "enough" varies from, say, Kentucky to say. Wale Forest. n the NBA, you can win plenty, even titles, and still get fired.

6. Mizzougrad96

In the NBA, you can win coach of the year and get canned. You can win a playoff series and get canned. That's very rare in other sports.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yep, yep, Warriors fire Mark Jackson, who is only too happy to be fired.

One big issue was him supposedly keeping his full-time home in L.A., where his ministry is also based. Hello Lakers.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I suspect Jermaine Jackson has a better shot at the Lakers job than Mark Jackson.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Why? He did a good job at Golden State, players always like him, and the Lakers' wish list seems to be diverging from the reality of who is going to be interested.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It sounded like the situation was toxic, but he took a team without its starting center to a competitive 7th game. Hard to say that they underachieved.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the NBA, but back-to-back playoff appearances = fired? I don't know if another coach could have taken them further? I'm amazed they took the Clippers to 7 w/o Bogut. Yet, I see the names of all the usual suspects being tossed around as replacement, if they dare step into this vipers den. I see Don Nelson grabbing another brew in Maui and laughing.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From everything I've seen, management and his own staff hated his guts, and his act was starting to wear thin with players, too. I think he may wait a while for the next coaching gig.

The Lakers can do better. The roster is shit right now, but they're still the Lakers.

Draft saved Draft deleted