1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 MLB.com summer internships

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Men of Moose

Men of Moose New Member

How many people usually apply for this internship?

2. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Hundreds.

3. Men of Moose

Men of Moose New Member

For those that have gone through the internship: When you got accepted, did you then get a list of possible teams to cover? I am just curious about the selection process.

4. GENAC

GENAC New Member

Thanks a lot. My application is already in, and I applied for several cities other than where I go to school (which I already have housing in). I just wanted to double-check on the pay to make sure I'd be able to afford renting in another city and etc...

5. scheyer30

scheyer30 New Member

Both years that I did the internship, Bill called me and asked me "Do you want to cover x team?" I really wanted the internship so I was pretty much planning on making it work regardless of what team I was offered. The first year, I was offered a team that wasn't in my top three and was actually halfway across the country. The second year I was offered a team in my top three that was only one state over.

Maybe he'd be flexible for you if you're a really strong candidate, but I imagine it's hard for him to juggle 30 spots and try to keep everyone happy.

6. kv18schn

kv18schn New Member

I threw in my application on deadline day. Hoping to hear back, but good luck to everyone else.

7. AlecMcQuade

AlecMcQuade New Member

I applied to this from Atlanta. Looking forward hopefully to hearing something soon; it could be a fun experience.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

If you haven't heard back yet, in my experience, you didn't get a position.

9. Men of Moose

Men of Moose New Member

Has anyone that applied heard any news yet?

10. aholla3

aholla3 New Member

Based on my experience with this internship, the candidates that made the initial cut were notified in early-December and had something to submit to Bill by mid-December. Those who got the internship were notified by the second week or so in January.

Draft saved Draft deleted