1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Little League World Series

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Aug 19, 2014.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Kinda' shocked we haven't had a thread on this yet, but the team from Philadelphia (Taney) has developed into a national story with 13-year-old female pitcher Mo'Ne Davis. Their come-from-behind win Sunday night drew a 1.5 TV rating nationally and a 6.5 in Philadelphia. Now, Sports Illisutrated has put Mo'Ne on the cover.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/mone-davis-sports-illustrated-cover-081914?cmpid=msn%3Afoxsports%3Aansfox11&gt1=msnans

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It has been awesome.

Also, this speech by the Rhode Island coach after his team was eliminated has been making the rounds.

http://kicks105.com/little-league-coach-speech/

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The 4-foot-8 kid from Mexico who hit a home run was pretty awesome, too.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Loved seeing that.

5. Do you think she's really 13?

The same with the 6-4, 230-pound 13-year-old from Puerto Rico.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2726166/Little-League-big-kid-This-13-year-old-Puerto-Rico-baseball-player-6-foot-4-weighs-230-pounds-large-Red-Sox-hitter-Big-Papi.html

The cynic in me says no.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

13 years removed from Danny Almonte? Yes. No way they don't have an NSA-like check of at least the kids in the US. You can't do anything about the bullshit some of the other countries do.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

What benefit would an older girl have to play baseball?
    And the kid from Puerto Rico? He moves like a 13-year old who grew too fast. He's awkward as hell, like my buddy who was 6-foot-3 in the sixth grade. When he finally figures out what his body is capable of? Good god he's going to punish baseballs.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you've been around any athletic league involving 13-year-olds, you've seen kids who look like grown men already. The 6-4, 230-pounder is big, but no bigger than either pitcher from the California-Michigan game of 2013.

As for Mo'Ne ... she's 5-4 and 105 pounds. What's remarkable about that?

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Throwing 70 mph for a 13-year-old girl is pretty remarkable.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've covered Little League at the regional level for a decade-plus, before ESPN *REALLY* f'd it all up to what it has become. It's great. But the fact there's a Little Leaguer on the cover of SI this week is wrong. Ridicuously wrong.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes and I believe she should be lauded for her abilities. I'm okay with just accepting her legitimacy until given evidence to the contrary rather than doubting her off the bat.

Although I do not have a daughter, only sons, I love seeing her excel.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Wasn't saying it to doubt her age. Just saying that she is not remarkable size-wise, but her ability is. But there are kids who develop physically quicker and also kids who peak early. Few buddies made the state finals in Little League way back and their best pitcher was 5'11 and threw about 70 mph. In hs, he was 6'2 but barely touched upper 70s and was their No. 3 pitcher. Will be interesting to see if Mo'Ne continues improving and if she sticks with baseball or switches to softball.

Draft saved Draft deleted