1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Emmy Nominations and Comments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printit, Jul 10, 2014.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hoo boy ... no, I gotta side with Ron Clements on that one.

Reality TV is pablum for the brain.

Are other TV shows insipid, too? Yes. So find more good ones ... they're out there too.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The best part is he watches the Blacklist. My roommate watches that, and from the couple episodes I've caught, the writing is atrocious. During one episode, I was literally guessing lines before they were said, it was so obvious and cliche what they were going to say. Spader is a very good actor, but other than him, that show is not good.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Seriously, there's more good TV on right now than at any point in the history of the medium (though you often have to wade through an ocean of crap to find it).

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't the shows submit a single performance for consideration in the actor/actress categories?

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

To me, "reality" television is more scripted than it is real and it's also just lazy television. Instead of actually having writers come up with an original script and story, it's, "Hey, let's put a bunch of cameras around these people, hit record and see what happens. But first, let's make sure the folks know what we want them to do and manufacture some fake melodrama."
    And, do you ever wonder how those really bad singers get into the American Idol auditions? Because most of them are actors hired to sing terribly to simply pander to a television audience. Reality TV is out there to insult everyone's intelligence in the name of entertainment. I have never watched an entire episode of any one reality show because it's just unwatchable.

6. jr/shotglass

I think The Blacklist is very good. Actually, I think The Following is very good, too, and that's even more "out there" than The Blacklist.

7. jr/shotglass

Exactly.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Much like I don't care to watch what I consider pretentious bullshit shows, many of which are cheap remakes or rehashes of other shows (i.e. House of Cards).

But wahey! That's why there are hundreds of channels!

And I take back what I said earlier -- I accidentally watched an episode of The Good Wife at some point.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm still laughing at the Kate Mara guest actress nom, for which she did about 12 mins of work.

10. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Alec Baldwin WON an Oscar for Glengarry Glen Ross and he was in that movie for all of 10 minutes.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He also delivered one of the most memorable and oft-quoted soliloquies in movie history. Kate Mara had a dummy version of herself thrown in front of a train.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Baldwin did not win an Oscar for GGR, nor was he nominated. His only Oscar nomination is for The Cooler.

Draft saved Draft deleted