1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 Emmy Nominations and Comments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printit, Jul 10, 2014.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Apart from the reality shows, I have not seen a single episode of ANY of those nominees.
    How can James Spader not get a mention for The Blacklist?

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I think he was much better in previous seasons. Just my opinion though :)

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, Laverne Cox was not a guest actress.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

None of the actresses nominated from OITNB were guest actresses.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

McConaughey wins best actor in a drama. Period. Hands down. End of discussion.
    And Uzo Aduba, aka "Crazy Eyes", is a slam-dunk for guest actress in a comedy.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Indeed. My annual rant to go back to the Cable ACE Award days. No way network and cable should be judged in the same contest, with the constraints network TV faces.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not just in terms of content, but judging a show with 22 episodes against one with 10 seems kind of dumb as well.

8. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

You need to watch better television. "Reality" TV is crap.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Good Wife, Parenthood, Hannibal show the networks can present outstanding one-hour dramas, they just don't for the most part.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Part of it is the networks are trying much too hard to be a "trash lite: version of cable shows. Networks should veer in the other direction. Of course, that's hard to do -- make clean(er) but compelling entertainment -- when most of the writers have no interest in clean(er) entertainment.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is changing a bit, but the networks are also too beholden to the idea of a traditional TV season. They want 20-25 episodes, start in the fall and end in the spring, etc. People like Larry David, Matthew Weiner and big-name actors want more flexibility than that.

Some of the really good networks shows have some things going for them. Hannibal is partially funded by a European channel, so it's not much a gamble for NBC and it gets more leeway. The Good Wife shoots in New York and they use a bunch of Broadway people who can do the show and still do their plays.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

"Better television."

Hold on a minute...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I think I will stick with The Amazing Race instead of some bullshit trendy shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted