1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 College basketball coaching carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 14, 2014.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No direct cash payment to recruits, their families or AAU street agents. Use their off-shore numbered accounts, please.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Pearl can't attend AAU games they should just make a cardboard cutout of him that sweats and the players will think he's actually there... :D

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The NCAA did nothing about academic fraud at North Carolina.

The sanctions were for improper benefits.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well, the links I looked up said academic fraud was part of the package.

But, point stands. The North Carolina football program was I AM SURE the only group on campus getting improper benefits.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

The links you looked up were wrong, then. NCAA sanctions were only levied for improper benefits in the football program.

If the NCAA was going to sanction for academic fraud then it would have to hit the basketball program because basketball players were in the same fraudulent classes as the football players.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Steve Donahue out at BC:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24490348/report-steve-donahue-fired-at-boston-college

Too late to hire former Eagles student manager Bruce Pearl, however.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The (War) Eagle has landed:

[​IMG]

https://twitter.com/AUGoldMine/status/445994185162649600/photo/1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mizzougrad96

Is Crean's job safe?

I think he's under contract for at least five more years at about $3 million per. I can't imagine Indiana cutting him that kind of check to leave.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ken Bone out at Wazzu.

College hoops have gotten to the point where the BCS conferences can't just reach down to the mid-majors. I don't think you could pry Marshall loose from Wichita State, Few from Gonzaga or Fisher from SD State. Most of the mid-majors have locked their coaches up for long-term deals twice the length of anything they'd get from a move up the ladder.

I don't know if I could name the "hot" coach right now. And pity the school that jumps after someone based on an upset this weekend.

10. Mizzougrad96

It says a lot that it took the Celtics to pry Stevens from Butler and that Shaka Smart has stayed as long as he has at VCU.

We'll know who the "hot coach" is about 10 days from now. At this time last year, I doubt too many of us would have guessed the hot coach of last season would be Andy Enfield.

Smart and Marshall have had way too much success to be considered that way. I'm guessing it will take a powerhouse to get either of them to leave their current jobs.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Karma, baby. First thing I thought of Saturday night as Ed Cooley was giving his ex-boss a shoutout at MSG: "Hey BC, how'd firing Al Skinner work out for you?"
    Back in early January, after he lost two frosh to a suspension from PC administration (Brandon Austin has since decamped for Oregon), I figured Cooley would be willing to listen if somebody came after him. Doubt that happens now.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Others fired yesterday, according to today's trannies: Jim Baker at Catawba, Brad Huse at Montana State. Decent enough jobs for a guy looking for a place to start making his mark.

Draft saved Draft deleted