1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 College basketball coaching carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, since when does Auburn give a shit about the NCAA (in any sport)?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

James Johnson out at Va Tech. Maybe they'll apologize and Greenberg his job back.

Tough place to recruit, but it is the BigACC.

Would Jeff Jones leave ODU after 1 season to get back to the ACC? Mike Lonergan from GW?

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Shouldn't they at least wait until the show-cause order has expired to name him as head coach? Oh yeah, it's Auburn.

Wonder if he and the football program will share the same bag man?

4. Steak Snabler

Show-cause order doesn't expire until late August. Don't think they (or anyone else) can wait that long.

Supposedly, he won't be allowed to have direct contact with recruits until the show-cause expires. He will be able to evaluate film, however.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Auburn filed an appeal to the NCAA today asking that it be dropped, according to UT blogs.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd say "shame and humiliation".

When I think of Tennessee basketball under Pearl, I think of a visible coach who won a lot, made Tennessee-Memphis a must watch and put butts in the seats. They drew 19,000 fans a game in 2007. I lived four states away from Knoxville but, when Pearl was coaching, I paid attention to them.

Auburn is the perfect landing place - a school that never cares about the rules and doesn't even try to pretend there is a "student" in "student athlete". I actually think Pearl could have done better in that I'm surprised he didn't go to a school in a larger media market.

Yet, I also think about my theory... you can get away with a lot more in a smaller media town... and Auburn is about as isolated as it gets.

Good hire for Auburn. Their men's basketball program is now relevant.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Painter's still a damn good coach, but he's been getting flat crushed on the recruiting trail by his Big 10 rivals recently. Seems like the two Michigan schools, in particular, are loaded with in-state kids that Painter targeted hard but whiffed on (Gary Harris, Glenn Robinson III, Brandon Dawsen, Zak Irvin, Mitch McGary, etc).

He may need to change his assistant staff to add some better recruiting chops.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What does "direct contact" mean in this day and age? Can he go to AAU games?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Auburn is isolated, but the Alabama papers cover the hell out of them. It's not like he's in Starkville or Ames.

10. Steak Snabler

I don't think he can recruit off-campus, no. Nor can he meet those that come on-campus.

Just evaluate film I guess. The assistants have to handle all the face-to-face stuff.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This works out well for Auburn -- Pearl can get the basketball team (which nobody gives a shit about) on probation, the NCAA will look like it has some teeth, and the football program can just keep on keeping on with the truckloads of cash.

It's like when the NCAA nailed North Carolina football for academic fraud.

12. Steak Snabler

Not to mention Atlanta is only 90 minutes away. The AJC has been notorious over the years for sniffing around Auburn and Tuscaloosa, particularly if the Tigers and Tide are beating the Bulldogs regularly.

Draft saved Draft deleted