1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 College basketball coaching carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And would certainly be enough to excuse Todd Lickliter for becoming a raging alcoholic.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Heath looks so much like Haith ... such a tease.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll see your Stan Heath and raise you ... Andy Enfield.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That Haith situation is so weird. He wasn't a popular pick to begin with, hasn't done much to win the fans over since arriving, had the whole Miami/NCAA clusterfuck pop up, and it seems like the only trick he has up his sleeve is the one where he gets every transfer he can get his hands on to come to Columbia.

Then he seems stunned when there's no continuity with the group that seems to include a half-dozen rental players from other programs every season. And I'm not sure he's a good-enough coach to succeed in a perfect situation, anyway.

I'd typically want to give a coach more than 3 seasons, but given the collective yawn shown by the Mizzou fans in recent seasons (ever since that Norfolk State loss, anyway), I'm not sure they can afford not to move one from him.

How long before Matt Painter's seat gets a little warm at Purdue?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Heath's situation is different than most. He inherited a very good team at Kent State, won two games in the tournament and then got the Arkansas job.

At least Enfield took over a bad team and turned it around.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was trying to decide who I would say has been the most successful coach the past 10 seasons, so I looked up the post season results of who I would consider the "elite" active coaches and thought it was interesting.

Tom Izzo - 3 Final Fours, 3 Sweet 16, 2 second round, 2 first round
    Bill Self - 2 Final Fours (1 title), 3 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16, 1 2nd round, 2 first round
    Coach K - 2 Final Fours (1 title), 1 Elite 8, 4 Sweet 16, 2 2nd round, 1 first round
    Roy - 3 Final Fours (2 titles), 3 Elite 8, 1 Sweet 16, 2 2nd round, 1 NIT
    Calipari - 3 Final Fours (1 title), 3 Elite 8, 1 second round, 2 NIT
    Pitino - 3 Final Fours (1 title), 2 Elite 8, 2 second round, 2 first round, 1 NIT
    Boeheim - 1 Final Four, 1 Elite 8, 4 Sweet 16, 2 First round, 2 NIT
    Donovan - 2 Final Fours (2 titles), 3 Elite 8, 1 Second Round, 2 First Round, 2 NIT

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Bruce Pearl is back

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10626778/bruce-pearl-accepts-auburn-tigers-head-basketball-coaching-job

8. Mizzougrad96

Pearl is a douche, but he's a hell of a coach. Great hire by Auburn.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As much as this hurts Alabama (though you can't kill something that's already dead), it's even worse for Georgia, because Pearl is about to start recruiting the hell out of Atlanta.

10. Mizzougrad96

I wonder if they players will be willing to go to a shitty Under Armour school (crossthread)... :D

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Most Tennessee fans are in an uproar about Pearl slipping back into the league, and not at UT.

Most Tennessee fans forget that his teams regularly shit the bed in the Tournament (like at his last game, here: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310770130), and most Tennessee fans forget that he is a scuzzball who brought shame and humiliation upon the university by lying to the NCAA, and expecting his coaches to do the same.

12. Mizzougrad96

Which is why he'll be a perfect fit at Auburn.

Draft saved Draft deleted