1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 College basketball coaching carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 14, 2014.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I can think of no reason that Washington State should not be a Pac-12 doormat. That has been their history and I don't see why many blue-chippers would be attracted to Pullman.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People in Pullman look up the road to Spokane and wonder why they can't have Gonzaga's success.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Please put Mizzou on this list.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

TCU has spent a lot of money renovating all of its athletic facilities - except Daniel Meyer Coliseum. The Frogs have been playing in a giant high school gym for decades. That's had a lot to do with their recruiting problems.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Ding, ding.

Preach on, brother.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think we all know the answer to that one is karma. :)

Actual answer: Mizzou could have replaced Norm with Bill Self and chose Quin Snyder instead.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Lots of moves on Friday, according to today's trannies. Cliff Warren out at Jacksonville. Tom Herrion out at Marshall, Stan Heath out at South Florida. Herrion and Heath had enjoyed a little success at their previous jobs. Maybe they jumped too fast.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Howland is plenty happy fishing right now. He'll get the itch again eventually.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Stan Heath.... the poster child for the mid-major coach who gets hot and moves up off winning a few games in March. In 2002, Heath gets Kent State to the Elite 8 and bolts for Arkansas. Of course, Kent State won 23 games in the three years before Heath shows up.

Looking back, he probably should have gone somewhere more...stable... after Kent State. Arkansas was in the midst of the Firing Nolan mess.

Yet his jump to South Florida after Arkansas fired him proved that he may never get a major head gig again. In 7 years at USF, Heath went 3-15 in conference play FOUR times and 4-14 another time. Yikes. His conference record at South Florida looked like Steve Yoder's 10 years at Wisconsin. Lots of 3-15 records thrown in there.

That being said, I always, ALWAYS believe that you jump when you're the hot coach. Always. A money grab sets you up for life. Unless Heath is into cocaine or bad Florida land deals, he will never have to work another day in his life.

Compare that with some of the "hot coaches" who didn't move up. The guy at Northern Iowa is four years removed from the Sweet Sixteen and never got back to the NCAA. Nice pay raise but he'll never be a hot coach again as long as Marshall is at Wichita State.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Disagree with the blanket statement - though we're used to it by now - mainly because you're conveniently forgetting Shaka Smart and Mark Few.

Ask Dan Monson and Todd Lickliter how that theory works.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Lickliter got paid $2.4 million dollars over three years to do nothing. Plus he also knows that he couldn't flourish in a real conference. At least he never has to ask "what if...".

That's why you always go.

I will say a handful of schools don't mind ponying up the cash to keep a Smart or a Few. Yet with that does come the expectations -- as they should. Southern Illinois was stuck with Chris Lowery at 750 a year for five years while they eroded.

I can also understand why a mid-major coach would stay there. Perhaps it's a family situation or you like the area. I just imagine that, if you're going 24-6 every year, there are some moments where you're like, "damn, if I was at UCLA, I wouldn't be dealing with the crap."

12. 35in44

35in44 Member

Fun thing to think about...

If Lickliter doesn't leave Butler, Brad Stevens is probably still an assistant coach. Butler doesn't make two national title games and becomes "BUTLER." Butler probably remains like Gonzaga...maybe Creighton.

Stevens certainly isn't coaching the Celtics. Crazy how one decision can change so much in retrospect.

Draft saved Draft deleted