1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 College basketball coaching carousel thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Surprised we didn't already have one of these...

Auburn is the big opening so far... Bruce Pearl's name was thrown out on PTI.

What other openings are coming?

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Washington State.

3. JamesCimburek

JamesCimburek New Member

It's not a major, but the University of South Dakota has also opened its coaching search.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The question -- will Bruce Pearl get a phone call to be a head coach this August? (Granted, it would be extremely late in the season).

There is definitely a Better-Call-Saul persona with him but, if I'm an AD at a school where football is underperforming (or non-existent) and the men's basketball team plays in a half-empty arena, wouldn't you consider Bruce Pearl? He wins everywhere. 19 years as a college head coach. Never a losing conference record.

If you make another weak basketball hire, you're likely getting canned anyway. Why not roll the dice? Bring in Pearl and he'll win games, fill the arena, make PTI appearances and talk to anyone and everyone. One would hope he won't host any more cookouts at his house.

As I look over the composite standings... BC, Virginia Tech, South Florida, TCU, Seton Hall, DePaul, Penn State, Purdue, Washington State. All programs that shouldn't be as lousy as they are. Hell, if he went to DePaul and won, they might actually be relevant again.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

One of these things is not like the others.

TCU sucks now, sucked in the past and will suck in the future.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You know, I read that post and before I got to your reply, I was about to type that TCU has every right to be as lousy as it is. I mean, what makes anyone think it should be better when it never has?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hire Pearl and every program at your school down to Ultimate Frisbee will be under permanent NCAA investigation.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In their defense, TCU will suck in a renovated arena in the near future so the Frogs have that going for them.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Should have happened at least last year, if not earlier.
    /upsetWAZZUalum

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Speaking of TCU, Trent Johnson's had a strange career path. Success at Nevada led to a job at Stanford, that makes perfect sense. But then he seemingly voluntarily goes from Stanford to LSU to TCU? I realize he may have been getting out of town ahead of the executioner in Baton Rouge, but I really can't see what made him think TCU was a place he was going to go and have success.

It's not getting any easier either. Kansas, Oklahoma State, et. all have always gotten their share of the top players in DFW, not to mention the Longhorns. Now Tubby is at Tech and SMU is getting some of the best local kids.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

TCU's lack of success in basketball puzzles me. Why in the hell would anyone want to spend time in Lubbock, Waco or College Station over the Metroplex? Especially when the Horned Frogs are now consistently worse the Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M and, now, SMU.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Ben Howland hasn't landed somewhere yet. A perfect candidate for a second-tier program.

Draft saved Draft deleted