1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014-15 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 8, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Wyche's reputation has suffered from being repeatedly badmouthed by two HOFers (Sapp and Brooks) and a few on the outer rim.
    He could be a fractious personality but it's strange he could never get another job, not even a coordinatorship, when the likes of Dick Jauron and Dave Wannstedt were always rendered employable.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Sapp bad-mouthing him does minimal damage. Brooks, is another story. Few players were as well-respected as Brooks.

I agree that Wyche doesn't get the credit he deserves for his time in Cincy. Esiason won a MVP under his tutelage.

3. Marvin Lewis: The Jay Cutler of Coaches.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Jason Garrett has a better winning percentage than Lewis.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Bengals are too worried about their plunge back to Shulaville or Coslettown. They're like the guy worried about being unemployed and taking a job they don't like that doesn't pay that well. The Bengals would rather survive on 25k a year rather than design a life and try and make 100k.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

If Rex isn't offered another HC gig straight out, I don't see him going to a team where he they have to acquire a good chunk of talent/players in order to flesh out the fit to Rex's defense. He'll be looking for a gig where most of the pieces are already in place and he just needs to tweak it a little, maybe build up one particular facet (DL, LB corps, or secondary) in order to complete the unit into a hard-nosed, effective one.

Effectively, he'll be most drawn to the defensive version of what Ken Whisenhunt was able to get himself into - which gives him the quickest path back to head coaching offers. Also, people need to remember that Rex as a head coach is going to want his own philosophies implemented on both sides of the ball, he's not the type of guy that comes in and tells an existing OC, "just keep running things the way you have been and I'll do my thing." The "ground and pound" approach is a staple of Rex's; so in some cases the teams with "ready-made, high-power passing offenses" may find themselves sacrificing that if Rex is brought in.

Regarding Lewis, fans and media have put him on the hot seat for the last 6-8 years...he's not going anywhere. Mike Brown likes him, and he's not as hung up on playoff/SB wins as other owners. Right or wrong, that's just how he is.

Regarding the 49ers, Jim Tomsula, is the top candidate if they promote from within, and I think they will in this case. He could keep Fangio as DC and replace Roman, the problem there is Greg Roman (as far as playcalling) and Harbaugh (if the locker room issues are correct), the players love Tomsula. And Fangio is fine. He could just hire a new offensive staff and keep the defensive staff in place. They have talent, they don't need to blow everything up.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Both teams need more moderate personalities coaching them. They've tried the clown and the lunatic.

8. RecoveringJournalist

There are a few current and former NFL coaches who are more concerned about job security than winning a Super Bowl. There have been a couple teams that had to go all-in to have a shot at winning a title even though the cap implications would mean they'd be fucked for a couple years afterwards. Two that were frequently mentioned were the 2000 Ravens and the 2002 Bucs.

I asked one former coach about going all-in to try to win a title and he said, "So, if we don't win, and we go 6-10 the following year and I get fired, what have we accomplished?"

He actually said that to me on the record.

I think the Niners will be colossally fucked if Harbaugh leaves. I saw something last week that speculated that the Falcons might pursue him. What is interesting about Harbaugh is that his two likeliest landing spots (Cleveland and Miami) might not be making coaching changes.

I hope they work it out. I doubt they will.

9. RecoveringJournalist

I don't see Rex taking a coordinator job. I think he'll either be a HC somewhere next year or he'll go do TV for a year or two and see what other jobs open.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Might have both NY teams looking for coaches at season's end the way things are going. Coughlin is an awesome coach, but if the Giants miss the playoffs again, it might be time to look elsewhere.

11. RecoveringJournalist

I don't see them firing him. They might nudge him into retirement.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If they miss the playoffs (and traveling to Seattle this week, they are facing a possible 3-6 record), they will have missed it in six of the past seven seasons. It's hard to keep any coach who misses the playoffs that much, even if he has won a pair of Super Bowls. I'm not sure if he's still the highest-paid coach in the league, but he was when he signed his contract off the 2011 Super Bowl, and the Giants haven't made the playoffs since.

I don't think anyone on the coaching staff is under contract past next year, so the Giants could axe everyone without taking a huge hit.

I could see the nudge toward retirement. He's probably too old to be hired anywhere else, so it would make sense for the Giants to give him the option to retire. Would he want to leave $6 or $7 million on the table, though?

Draft saved Draft deleted