1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014-15 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 8, 2014.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Harbaugh to Jets? That would be very entertaining

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm guessing at this point, Harbaugh will want a gig where he has almost complete control over the roster and can handpick his GM. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets take a swing for the fences and try to hire one of the "retired" guys, probably Gruden. Of course there is zero chance Gruden would take a job unless he can pick his own GM. He and McKenzie are friends, so if he went to Oakland, he might be fine with Reggie staying where he is.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Harbaugh dealing the the New York media would be a joy to behold.

4. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, he'd be hailed as a savior after being hired and then when he starts 1-2 they would have stories about how his act has worn thin with the players and how they want him gone. :D

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

There is the managerial concept of not hiring the most qualified man. Why? Because an unqualified man makes no waves and costs less money. The most prominent example is when the Bengals passed over their offensive coordinator, Bill Walsh, and promoted the offensive line coach, Bill Johnson, to the position of head coach.

Things have not changed in Cincinnati. They are competitive under Marvin which they were not since the Sam Wyche era. Marvin works cheap and does not complain. The Brown family is happy.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Well-said. He's a good fit there. I would not be surprised at all if he's there for the rest of his career.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lewis is 92-85-1 - the all time winningest Bengal coach with a winning pct. of .520 (third best), no playoff wins. I do think there is something to be said for continuity. A lot of teams have whiffed on coaches and new qbs three and four times since he's been at Cincinnati.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't think comparing Lewis with Bengals coaches serves much good.
    He looks good next to Wyche and a bunch of gimps- so what.

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

He's not exactly had a loaded roster at any point, there. We're probably not even having this discussion if Von Olhoffen doesn't blow out Palmer's knee.
    I don't think he's an elite coach. He's not Bill Belichick. But I actually think he's pretty good at coaching up the talent he has.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was just saying that it isn't like Mike Brown is going to get a "home run" hire who will be okay with the Brown family continuing to run football ops. It's a mom and pop operation and for the success they've had, it's pretty amazing. Just two Hall of Famers (not including Paul Brown) in their history and Charlie Joiner was only there for four seasons, did most of his damage with the Chargers.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Wyche was a better coach. For all the shit he gets he was a rare animal in the league- an innovator.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Wyche gets a pass on Tampa Bay -- that was a train wreck from the top down in the pre-Glazer era.

When he was with the Bengals, he led them to 10 wins (1986), 12 wins (1988) and a 4th-quarter lead against, oh, the team of the 1980's in the 49ers. Three losing seasons in 8 seasons in Cincinnati. Not bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted