1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014-15 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lovie got to the Super Bowl, and also went 29-19 the 3 years after getting to the NFC title game -- and was fired.

Different expectations in Chicago obviously. 81-63 in Chicago but made the playoffs just once in the 6 seasons after the Super Bowl.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, the Cowboys are the very peak of mediocrity.

Of course, isn't "the peak of mediocrity" something of a contradiction in terms?

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

The Cowboys are spending money. Beaucoup money. The Bengals charge their visiting free agents for soft drinks.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that they don't do that anymore, but it's unimaginable that it ever happened in the NFL. The Niners went through a stretch where they were charging players for answering their fan mail.

Every free agent who ever leaves Cincy acts like they just got out of Shawshank.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Which has zero to do with Dallas' well-established mediocrity: 8-8, 8-8, 8-8. 136-136 from 1997 to the beginning of this season.

If that isn't the (self-contradictory) pinnacle of mediocrity, I don't know what is.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

I know you like to jump my ass for no reason, so state your purpose in this argument or go debate somebody else.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Purpose? There is no purpose. Just stating the facts.

You said the Bengals represent the very peak of mediocrity, and I was just saying that honor has been reserved for the Dallas Cowboys for close to two decades now.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

The Cowboys -are- trying. You may scoff at that but they are trying, so pitifully hard.
    The Bengals are not, at least not as hard as Dallas.
    A lot of mediocrity involves settling for it.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Whatever. I'm all about results.

As Bill Parcells often said, don't tell me about the labor...

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Life and football are not so simple.
    The last thing we need is recitation of that fat ass's proverbs.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Especially considering Fisher had to practically be browbeaten into naming Davis the permanent starter.

BTW, as someone who watched Davis for four years in college, he's got a chance to be good. He's got the size, the arm, is mobile and has a good head on his shoulders. The funny thing is, he actually came to Southern Miss on a baseball scholarship. He's got a brother who played pro baseball and I believe got a cup of coffee in the bigs.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't realize it was the Southern Miss kid. He was good for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted