1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014’s Employment Boom Almost Entirely Due to the Expiration of Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 26, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's a fair point.

My response may have been clouded a bit by the arguments posted by several of my conservative friends on social media, in which they often deride those who are relying on UI as "moochers." The calls for people to "get a job" and "stop mooching off the system" have recently been thrown around quite a bit, mostly in reference to protestors.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you get say $400 a week on unemployment, unless you can get a job that pays more than that (a lot more if child care is involved) it only makes sense to take the unemployment as long as you can.

Always thought they should have a sliding scale so that if you got a part-time job paying say $300 a week you could get maybe $150 taken out of your unemployment rather than the whole $300.

But once it runs out, it's probably not to hard to find a job paying $18,000-$20,000. Doesn't mean you are on easy street.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Better to be trapped than living in a tent in the park because the $10 an hour employer won't hire you because you are "overqualified".

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The $10 an hour employer WILL hire you. The "overqualified" tales are grossly exaggerated. I'm sure many of the 2.2 million Walmart employees are qualified for other things. But for whatever reason, they are currently at Walmart. WriteThinking is proof of that. When my former company was preparing for a huge round of layoffs in 2009, I proactively started applying for retail jobs weeks in advance. I had zero desire to spend one minute unemployed if I could any way avoid it. A few days after learning that I would be keeping my job, two of the retail places called me for an interview. I have no doubt I would have been hired had I gone to those interviews. In many ways my wife is far more "qualified" than me . . . yet she was hired in a snap as a Publix cashier.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted