1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014’s Employment Boom Almost Entirely Due to the Expiration of Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was working a day job at an auto parts store and 2-3 nights a week at 7-Eleven. My father, a news editor at a midsize daily, said the paper might have an opening for a sports stringer. It paid a hum-dinging $20 per story/ phone shift and the paper had about a dozen people writing as stringers.
    I kept the other two jobs and did the stringing for 15 months, then got a job at a 6-day daily. I never again worked at the same paper as my dad, or even in the same chain.
    I made sure never to use any of my parents' friends or coworkers as references, or apply anywhere any of them worked.

But more than that I've never pounded the drums to cut off unemployment insurance for anybody.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Or it just ain't a Dunkin' Donuts, dammit!

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I got out of college I could have 'liquidated my savings' and bought a used moped.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Here come the bootstrap stories...

YankeeFan and JackReacher like this.
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Always fun!

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Actually, it's a pretty nice piece. I hate the headline -- 60% is "almost entirely"? -- but the work being discussed is nice work and is quite substantive.

Also ... Starman and YF? This little snit re: family nudges is beneath both of you. So neither one of you became the towering success you are without a little help. BFD.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They didn't build that!

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but true bootstrappers don't need any help. They don't even have help making the leather for their boots.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I take that to mean you believe an indefinite period of government assistance would have no negative effect as to whether people are extra motivated to find work.

Laughable.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Who said anything about indefinite when it comes to unemployment?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm not as liberal as some here, but I'm a good bit to the left of center. I understand many lack opportunity and education. But lazy? Fuck that.

Here's why I disagree with this statement and find it ignorant. My younger brother got laid off, pending a labor board review, after a recent safety incident on his train (Norfolk Southern). With a small amount of money in the bank, rather than finding a temporary job after his layoff, he decided to sit on his ass until he got word from the committee. Well, he got his termination letter Saturday, after three weeks. He hasn't hit a lick at a snake for three fucking weeks, despite repeated "encouragement" from my mother and me. Now, he can't feed his two kids.

I had three jobs when I was his age and I have very little pity for his situation. He's healthy and knows he should've been working somehow. Were I in his shoes, I'd have been in the Home Depot parking lot the next day looking for work.

So, your statement is fucking ignorant.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

... hit a lick at a snake ...

Draft saved Draft deleted