1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 WSOP Main Event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Oct 23, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No thread yet on this, and it seems the interest is not where it was in years past for many, but I'm still a regular record-and-watch.

The Tuesday night ESPN shows are at Day 7 now. German player Anton Morgenstern at one point had over $29 million and got cocky. In a very short span he has been drained down to $5 million. And there's still an hour in the telecast to go. Just an epic meltdown

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This is how far out of the poker loop I have been - do they still do the November 9 thing or do we already know who wins this main event?

3. old_tony

Nov. 4 starts the November Nine.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I still watch poker on TV, OT, just there are so many tournaments televised I get them all mixed up and no longer is it "appointment TV" so I haven't followed the progression of the main event in a couple of years.

Are there any interesting names left after Day 7?

5. old_tony

Carlos Mortensen and JC Tran are the two biggest names I see. They're down to 18 now for the telecasts, and they'll get down to the November Nine on next Tuesday night's telecast. BTW, Morgenstern busted out before they got down to two tables. He could have folded his way to the final table and got big-stack big head. His first mis-step on the telecast was re-raising with 8-7 offsuit against pocket aces. Cost himself almost 6 million on that hand and never even got to see a flop. From there it was all downhill.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Didn't he lose $11 million or $12 million holding three of a kind? Ouch.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Poker After Dark > WSOP

8. old_tony

Yeah, he had Ace-Four going up against pocket deuces. The flop came A-A-2, so he flopped trips but his opponent flopped 2s-full.

Draft saved Draft deleted