1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 U.S. Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a strange course in that there are only two par 5s: No. 2 and No. 4. So it's going to be hard to make up strokes late in a round.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

is it 1993 again?

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

The course looks great, from what I've seen. 3-woods from the tees on Par 3s, 5-irons from the par 4 tees. Both par 5s played over par on Thursday - albeit half a completed round for the field. There were more eagles on the short 10th (2) than on the two par 5s combined (1), according to the usopen.com stats.

Hope Tiger isn't too hurt. We'll should be getting references to a "shredded" wrist soon enough.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Threesome of golfers ranked 1-2-3 in world rankings went a combined eight-over par for the first round. If that 62 is out there at Merion, it's hiding itself pretty well.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Soft course update. There are now 10 golfers out of 156 at par or under par. And seven of 'em have yet to tee off in the second round. The USGA could take a miniature golf course for the Open and make it so par's a winning score.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Meant to post on this yesterday. Someone (pretty sure it was Lee Westwood) hit one of the wicker baskets with an approach shot and the ball bounced back and rolled off the green by about 30 yards.

Anyone have any thoughts on one club using something very non-standard and the USGA not using its muscle to keep the standards? That ball hits the flag, it probably drops straight down.

I'm still not sure on where I stand. I kinda like the look of the wicker baskets, but hate to see them affect play. I also wonder if they're easier or harder to see from the fairway. And they give you no indication of wind up at the green, either.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm not watching, just following the leaderboard, but it sure seems like it took Luke Donald all of about five minutes to go from 3 under to 1 over.

8. old_tony

Nah, he earned it the consistent way. Four straight bogeys.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

yep

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

question for the ourse gurus: first round finished early today and then they started seond round How do they hange the pin loations on suh short notie?

11. old_tony

It takes about a minute to change a cup location. And I'm sure they have more than one guy doing it.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What's up with your post? Did your keyboard C's up?

Draft saved Draft deleted