1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 U.S. Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I can't imagine the USGA allowing lift, clean and place. They'd rather finish next Wednesday than allow that. A six-hour round, with a couple of out-of-bounds wouldn't surprise me.

Shorter doesn't necessarily mean easier, especially if you're constantly in deep rough. I'd say 4 or 5-under as the winning score for the week.

Already had a three-hour weather delay Thursday morning, which pretty much guarantees the late starting times won't finish today. And more rain and lightning possible in the afternoon.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There isn't a golf course in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic region where they wouldn't have had the same problems with rain as at Merion.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True enough. Bethpage got swamped in 2009.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are 78 golfers on the course and as of now 15 are at par or better and of course nobody's played even two-thirds of the holes. So I'd say rain and all, Merion has so far defended itself.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Hearing the moron yelling "BABBA BOOEY!" after tee shots makes me dislike Stern fans even more.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know why everyone thinks Merion is so short. The total yardage on course stats page of usopen.com has the course playing at 1,003,104 yards.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow. Not sure even the Dalai Lama could reach a green in regulation on that course.

8. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Kim Jong-Un recorded a -27 on that course.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Do I have this right? The players that are starting on the back nine are starting at 11 and finishing at 10? Why is that?

10. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Proximity to the driving range and clubhouse... Much easier to start on 11 than 10.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No one shoots 63 or better on this course this week. Short does not equal easy.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, remember last year at Olympic, players started on No. 1 and No. 8. These older courses are built somewhat uniquely.

As for length, there's some variety. No. 10 is a par 4 playing 301 today and No. 18 is a par 4 playing 500 yards. Most of the par 3s are pretty long.

Draft saved Draft deleted