1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 U.S. Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll take the over. Looking at some of that rough, hell, a caddie might lose a bag if he puts it down to look for a lost ball.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Weather forecast is not looking particularly good for Thursday. 80 percent chance of rain, including some strong thunderstorms.

As we learned in 2009 at Bethpage, if you fall very far behind schedule on Thursday, you never catch up the rest of the week and probably end up with a Monday finish.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I was at the Open in 2009, and was so fucked up with the weather... ended up watching Monday's finish from the airport.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A golf reporter I worked with within the past decade would always schedule a Tuesday departure from the majors just in case.

I'll take the over on the 63 as well. I think in the end Merion will show some bite, but 6 under to 8 under could win this thing. And it could be like Bethpage -- it's going to depend which side of the draw you catch weather-wise. There were distinct advantages in 2009 because of that.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

To clarify, I was there as a fan, not as a reporter... Friend got tickets thru a deal and I used marriott points for three nights in times square... pretty sure I used miles for the flight too.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pretty smart. I really hate the USGA 18-hole playoff format. If the weather's bad, could be a Tuesday finish.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I can't even remember the last Tuesday finish in a major. Of if there has been one.

The British Open and the PGA do it right with their playoff formats. Four/three holes is fair. It's easy for the British to do it because of the light situation in late July. I remember someone on here saying in 2008 after the Tiger-Rocco 19-hole epic that it set back changing the 18-hole playoff 20 years.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The one Open I covered in 1994 at Oakmont had a Monday playoff but I still managed to file and catch a 7:00 flight home. That weekend was memorable for watching the OJ Bronco chase from the hotel bar Friday night.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Tiger -Rocco was the exception. Seems like the norm is Fuzzy Zoeller-Greg Norman (1984), where one guy shoots 67 and the other 75 and all the drama is done by the time they reach the 10th tee.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They're going to get swamped today and they've had like 5 inches of rain in the last week. If the USGA doesn't allow the "lift, clean and place" rule, which it is loathe to do, it could be pretty interesting.

Here are today's tee times and pairings:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2013-u-open-golf-tee-times-pairings-rounds-200100370.html

Tiger will get wet at 1:14.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Should the title of this thread change to 2013 U.S. Open Running Water?

Draft saved Draft deleted