1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 U.S. Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lot of the Euros love that form of play. You would have thought that they would have a better track record at the US Open.

I still think the tee shots and irons are the key. If you miss the fairway, or miss the green, you are going to make bogey more often than not.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bump since Gee revived the golf thread but we did have this.

Lots of rain and this thing could turn into the old Bob Hope Desert Classic.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

If this turns into the pitch 'n putt Ernie Els is saying it will they'll never be back to the Philadelphia area.

4. MileHigh

Well, they definitely will not be coming back to Merion. This is it for the old lady.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And I don't think any other course in the area has expressed the interest in hosting.

6. MileHigh

Watching the Golf Channel's preview -- and this course is wickedly cool. Long par 3s (save for the 115-yarder). Short par 4s. It's a brilliant design, and while still a bandbox (by today's standards), it's really too bad so much rain fell to turn this thing into a pitch-and-putt. It's going to be target practice out there, unfortunately. And it would be really bad if the doomsday scenario of having to bring in two holes from the West course come into play.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There will be some very low scores, if the course is playable. But there will also be some very high scores, since the rough is going to resemble six inches of creamed spinach.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This is what I hate about modern-day selection of championship sites. In order to make Merion more of a challenge, they moved bunkers closer to the fairways at some holes. Now there's a story out that says when the Open is over, those bunkers will be moved back for regular member play. Of course, we all assume the USGA paid for this work, but I'm in the camp that you ought to go find a course and play it and stop trying to be Donald Ross.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The British Open approach is far superior. Here's the damn course, same as it was in 1880. If the weather's bad, scores will be higher. On those infrequent occasions it's nice for all four days, the winner will go very low. Who cares about the number?
    It is noteworthy that the one time the R&A engaged in USGA-style preparation of a course, at Carnoustie in 1999, it became just about impossible.
    I respect the USGA's desire to make their Open the hardest tournament in the sport. But that doesn't need to be pegged to an artificial concept of par.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't think Tiger Woods will win this week. He dominates at courses when he can make hay on the par 5s and score birdies and eagles there. His length off the tee won't be as big of a factor at Merion as some other places.

I like Lee Westwood's chances. Got to see him play earlier this year at a PGA Tour event I worked and he was hitting the ball very well. Luke Donald could also do well, as well as, oh, maybe 50-60 other guys. It's such a crapshoot each and every week now. Just keep the ball in the fairway and you'll give yourself a chance.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This actually will play to Tiger's current strength; he can keep up with the youngsters with his irons and "stingers" off the tee on a short course. He's still got the great short game and he's been putting extremely well post-Stricker.

He won the Players on a course he's historically done very poorly.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

With it being this soft and this short......Someone beats Miller's 63.

Draft saved Draft deleted