1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 U.S. Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think the USGA had their pants extra-wadded in this Open, with so much mounting criticism over technology and such. "OK, so you're legislating out anchoring for 2 percent of the golf population, but what about the tennis-racket drivers and moon balls?" A sub-7000 yard course would in theory be torn apart by players, so Davis and Co. pulled out every brutal pin position, fluffed the rough every day and even left the fairways just shaggy enough to keep good drives from bounding down into sand-wedge territory.

No one birdied 18 all weekend, which I'm sure is getting high-fives in Far Hills. But I didn't like Mickelson being on that tee needing a birdie and having virtually no chance.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then Mickelson should have played 13 and 15 better.

If that's a par 5 you'd be ok with it because he needs eagle instead of birdie?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, we see once again that the USGA can fix any course to the point where no one breaks par. What is so great about that?

Was this tournament better than 1981, when David Graham's winning score was -7? I thought the tournament had plenty of drama, but it was the "oh my god, I hope my guy doesn't screw this next hole up and make triple bogey" kind. It was always a question of who was going to mess up the least.

As for Woods, hey, all golfers have their down weeks. He may or may not be seriously injured. If he's hurt, take time off, like he did in 2011. At least he's not making excuses.

As for Merion, the golf course itself was fine. A bigger issue, perhaps, was all the logistics surrounding a tournament of that size. Merchandising tents, media facilities, practice grounds, ticket sales, concession stands, locker rooms and, of course, porta potties. It's a fine, quaint little facility that would be fine for a Women's Open, a Senior Open, US Amateur, Walker Cup or whatever. But with so many other larger courses ready, willing and able to host a US Open, I kept asking "Why are they doing this?"

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter to me if the USGA didn't assign par to any hole; just give 'em 18 holes and let 'em have at it. But when 146 of the world's best play a hole and there are 0 birdies, my inclination is to say that's a bit over the edge of providing a fair and proper test of their skills.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It should be noted that Rose, the winner of the tournament, was the golfer who came closest to birdieing 18, at least as far as was shown on TV.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Mickelson birdied the hole to end the second round. No one birdied it on Sunday. And with no driver in the bag, he left himself too long of a second shot with the wind and wet conditions. He didn't have a chance, not because of the USGA, but because he had five wedges in his bag.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Broadcasters said earlier in the round that the Sunday pin placement eliminated driver from consideration for everybody. Not having the driver was no biggie there. The lords of golf simply did not want a 3 to be possible on that hole.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My quibble with 18 was, it was a tweener hole.

* Too long and difficult of a par 4 to have a realistic shot at birde.

* Too short for a real par 5. If it's gonna be a par 5, then lengthen it, or everyone make birdie and that's not a test of skill either.

No quibble that Rose won. He was the best over 72 holes. But unlike say, the Masters, the closing holes were way to tough for anyone to have a real chance at birdie and to make a late charge. And that's what makes a tourney exciting.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On Sunday, the pin placements appeared to be set on the principle of easier for the easier holes and harder for the harder ones. Mickelson bogeyed a 100-yard par three on Sunday. That and the missed short putts are why he lost, not 18.
    Micro, the idea that the closing holes are so hard disaster is only a swing away can generate some drama, too. Excitement is just about birdies. If it was, the Palm Springs tournament would have the highest ratings every year.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I go back to what I wrote a few days ago.

Par doesn't matter one iota except to the blue blazers.

You play four rounds. Whoever takes the fewest shots over those four rounds wins. No. 18 could have been a par 2 or a par 7. It doesn't matter. Rose took two fewer shots over 72 holes than Mickelson and others -- and that's all that matters.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think setting the final hole up that way is like the NFL doing away with the two-point conversion -- it would be a reasonable and historically grounded decision, but it makes for a lot less excitement as a spectator sport.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, but it affects your mindset as you play a round. It's a lot harsher to think "gee, I just bogeyed from the fairway" than "well, no birdie this time, but at least I made par."

Draft saved Draft deleted