1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 U.S. Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

5 par 4's under 400 yards. Don't remember ever seeing that at a U.S. Open before.

You better chip and putt your ass off.

I'll take Snedeker. Westwood a couple shots back. Woods in the Top 10. Dont be surprised if Els is in contention as well.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Old school meets new school. First time in more than 30 years they've been to Merion and I'm sure they will set up that bandbox (by today's standards) to be as tough as possible. Always a quirky tournament with lesser names/first-timers winning. Oh, and the dreaded return of the walrus to the microphone for the first two rounds.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

One of our local college kids played in the Dallas sectional and finished a respectable 1-under, finishing in a six-man group with Justin Leonard and a shot ahead of Scott Verplank. But the big story was the 12-hole playoff to determine the fourth qualifier. They played eight holes Monday before it got too dark to continue, then played four more this morning.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Better to be short and in the fairway than long and in the rough. I've been very critical over the years of the way the USGA sets up the course. Too often, it is long and narrow. This may provide an interesting option.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The way the course is set up, you'll have guys shooting 32 on the front (to a par 36) and 35 on the back (to a par 34).

So long as the USGA is comfortable with the winner shooting -8, should be a great tournament. If the USGA wants to show nobody who gives a shit how hard it can make a course, we'll have another Olympic hackfest, where the most enjoyable thing was the British peacock at the end.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never understood what was wrong with -8 winning the tournament. These are the best players in the world; they should make a few birdies over 72 holes.

It's far more enjoyable to watch guys make putts for birdie than for double bogey. That's why I like the other majors better.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Craig Stadler? Or Roger Maltbie?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Leather.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

This is why I love the U.S. Open — because it's the only time all year I'll have a chance of seeing the world's best players go through some of the same thing I go through during my weekend rounds, and that is, 'I've just hit it in the one place I shouldn't; now what in the hell am I going to do?'

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think the USGA would be OK with 6 to 8 under winning this Open. I can appreciate good golf, and I can appreciate tough courses and tough playing conditions, but what the USGA did to Olympic last year and Shinnecock previously was no fun to watch.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Same thinking here.

It's one thing for me to go out and fail to break 100. But these players are supposed to be the very best in the world, and get paid like they are. It's sort of reminds me of one instructor I had in university, who would make the exams so hard that only 10 percent of the class would get better than C. In his mind, that was the way it was supposed to be. As a student, I felt I deserved better for the time and effort I had invested.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tiger is peaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted