1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Tornado Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 20, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The number of kids involved in this tragedy is going to make this one trump plenty of situations where the body count is a lot higher.

Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of people who see these kinds of tragedies every year and while they're sympathetic, they may be somewhat numb to it.

Not too many people are numb to hearing about kids dying after a tornado hits a grade school.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

What irks me is the people in front of the school that interview a 10-year old who is scared out of his mind.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Take that to the other thread. Not here.

5. MileHigh

Meanwhile, death toll revised DOWN to 24.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How on earth? The ME had 51 confirmed at one point.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing....

8. MileHigh

"We have got good news. The number right now is 24," said Amy Elliott, chief administrative officer at the Oklahoma City Medical Examiner's Office. The prior figure of 51 dead may have included some double-reported casualties, Elliott said.

"There was a lot of chaos," Elliott said.

http://news.yahoo.com/oklahoma-officials-24-not-51-bodies-found-massive-130607015.html

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I guess if there is good news to be had out of OKC....

10. Inky_Wretch

Wow. And thank God.

That said, I'm sure it will go up no matter what the current count is right now.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, I thought they had said that 20 kids had died at that school. Is that a separate deal?

12. Inky_Wretch

CNN just had raw video from The Oklahoman of the kids at one of the schools standing around outside after the tornado hit. Aside from the fact it made it really, really dusty in here, I was impressed by how well the teachers were organizing the kids and trying to keep some control.

Draft saved Draft deleted