1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Tornado Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, May 20, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If a school did have a basement and a water line burst with the sump pump failing (no power to run it), a basement could fill up with water.

Not saying that happened, but I have seen a flooded room in a school before.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

How to help:

American Red Cross
    The Red Cross has set up shelters in various communities. You can donate to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund here, and the organization also suggests giving blood at your local hospital or blood bank.

If you want to send a $10 donation to the Disaster Relief fund via text message, you can do so by texting the word REDCROSS to 90999. As in the case with other donations via mobile, the donation will show up on your wireless bill, or be deducted from your balance if you have a prepaid phone. You need to be 18 or older, or have parental permission, to donate this way. (If you change your mind, text the word STOP to 90999.)

Phone: 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767); for Spanish speakers, 1-800-257-7575; for TDD, 1-800-220-4095.

Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief
    This organization says donations will "go straight to help those in need providing tree removal services, laundry services and meals to victims of disasters."

It is requesting monetary donations (It says clothing is NOT needed). For more information, and to donate, visit Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief's website.

You can send checks to: BGCO, Attn: Disaster Relief, 3800 N. May Ave., Oklahoma City, OK., 73112.

Salvation Army
    The Salvation Army is organizing disaster response units to serve hard-hit areas in central Oklahoma, including Moore, where it is sending mobile kitchens that can serve meals to 2,500 people a day, and to South Oklahoma City.

Supporters can donate online via the organization's website, SalvationArmyUSA.org. You can also text the word STORM to 80888 to make a $10 donation via cellphone.

If you want to send a check, the Salvation Army asks that you put the words "Oklahoma Tornado Relief" on the check, and mail it to: The Salvation Army, P.O. Box 12600, Oklahoma City, OK., 73157.

Phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).

Feeding America
    Through its network of more than 200 food banks, Feeding America says it will deliver truckloads of food, water and supplies to communities in need, and will also "set up additional emergency food and supply distribution sites as they are needed."

The organization's website is here. There are various ways to donate; you can read about those here.

Operation USA
    The international relief group, based in Los Angeles, says it is "readying essential material aid - emergency, shelter and cleaning supplies" to help Oklahoma's community health organizations and schools recover.

You can donate online here. You can also give a $10 donation by texting the word AID to 50555. Checks should be sent to: Operation USA, 7421 Beverly Blvd., PH, Los Angeles, CA 90036

Phone: 1-800-678-7255.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Stay classy Seattle.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And in some parts of the south, you hit solid rock just a few feet down too.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Joplin is sending help. It's two days shy of the second anniversary of the Joplin tornado (5/22/11).

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/20/4246474/joplin-sending-help-to-moore-okla.html

Edit: The City of Joplin website: http://joplinmo.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?aid=430&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

6. Inky_Wretch

I still can't my mind around this.

A meteorologist for the local news station KFOR called the tornado “the worst tornado in the history of the world.” That assessment is quite apt.

Read more: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/05/how-to-understand-the-scale-of-todays-oklahoma-tornado/#ixzz2TtICFb7n
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Reportedly debris from this were coming down as far away as Branson, Missouri.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One of my locals is calling the story "Heartbreak in the Heartland."

Sorry, but I find it fucking annoying that they think they have to come up with some corny, stupid tagline for every big story. And, cliche of all cliches, it always has to have alliteration.

Rant over. Back to praying for Oklahoma.

9. Inky_Wretch

This guy was much calmer than I would be.

RT @brianstelter: What one family saw upon exiting their storm shelter. Incredible video: youtu.be/dCbhnPfEvF8

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy smokes.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This image really tugs at the heart strings, especially because the guy reminds me of my grandpa:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Understatement of the year. Beyond chilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted