1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013: The NHL season that almost wasn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Can we please turn this conversation to the Capitals now?

Gonna be any good this year, or should I brace for more disappointment?

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Bobby Ryan will be the first one traded if/when the Ducks start to tank. But a lot will be determined by how Getzlaf gets started. If he is an all-star, he's the core of the rebuilding. If he plays like last year, he's gone. Perry won't be traded.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

With Brass Bonanza gone, few things get the blood pumping like Hurricane 2000.

http://youtu.be/44DtB2ASGco

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I know most people hate Brian Burke. But, personally, I love how he speaks his mind.

Great news conference.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love Brian Burke. He's smart, he's opinionated and he speaks his mind. Best part of the press conference was his remark directed to Steve Simmons of Sun Media. "

"The best part of today is that I don't have to talk to you again Steve."

Steve Simmons may be the worst hockey columnist in Canada or the the US. Can't stand his stuff.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

I totally agree with you on all fronts. And, he deserved that type of answer after the stupid question Steve asked him.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Brian Burke is a bully, I used to love the guy but unless you kiss his ass he is a complete bully. His act wears thin really quickly and thatis why he lost his job in Vancouver and Toronto. That and the fact he did a terrible job in Toronto.

Steve Simmons is terrible, we agree there.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I disagree. I don't think he did a terrible job in Toronto but he didn't exactly exceed expectations. The corporate weasels at MLSE should have given him this season to see if the Leafs could make the playoffs.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Considering all the other ways people have been fired, I don't see anything out of the ordinary here. Would it have been preferable to have canned him over the phone? Upon arrival at the meeting? After the meeting?

That's not to say he should/shouldn't have been fired, just that I've heard of WAY more horrid ways people have found out they were getting the axe.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what you think he did well? The Gardner Lupul trade was a great one but other than that what are his positives? The Kessel trade will haunt them for years, he never got a goalie and never got them a legitimate centre. His free agent signings were horrendous, Beauchamin, Komisarek, Connoly, Gustavson, I just don't see it what he did well.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think you can point to the success of the Marlies as proof that the Leafs have a well stocked cupboard. They may be a couple of years away from a contender team. As far as goaltending goes, Reimer was terrific until he got his concussion and Scrivens may turn out to be a solid NHL goalie. How long did it take to turn the Canucks into a Stanley Cup team?

I'm not a huge Kessel fan and you can debate all you want whether he was worth Seguin and Dougie Hamilton but the guy was sixth in scoring last year.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fair point on the Marlies, as long as that translates to NHL talent. Burke did a real good job in Vancouver and he left the Canucks in a hell of a lot better position than he's left the the Leafs. Kessel is a real good hockey player but I'm not sure that anybody would trade Seguin straight up for Kessel, let alone throwing in Hamilton. Burke tried to rush the rebuild by making that deal and those god awful free agent signings.

Draft saved Draft deleted