1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 SJ College Football Poll: FINAL POLL POSTED!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Jul 11, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Re: College Football Poll: VOTERS WANTED

I'll need the preseason ballots by Tuesday, Aug. 20 ... will try to have the preseason poll/story sometime the next day.

2. I Should Coco

Time to announce this year's voters. Thanks to all who've volunteered, and as noted above, I will need your preseason top 25 ballot by TUESDAY, Aug. 20.

To borrow a cliched college football preview quote: "Looks like we've got a good mix of veteran leadership and young talent this year":

I Should Coco slappy4428 Donnie, in his element Starman
    Versatile Songbird dixiehack
    Layman Della9250 Mizzougrad96
    Douglas Huggy KYSportswriter
    dragonzo3 albert77 three_bags_full

MileHigh Inky_Wretch DragonSteamboat Rumpleforeskin
    HanSenSE dparker85 McNuggetsMan the_lorax
    andrewkahn SportsHack1818 Madhavok Suicide Squeezer
    TheWritingWaffle Alma Oz Hank_Scorpio
    Ben Poquette Rawbot Scott W. Coleman Matt Stephens

There you go, 35 36 voters. And I don't know where all of you live, but from what I do know, we've got a good mix of geography here. In other words, you're not ALL SEC fanbois.

For the newbies, send your ballots to me via PM, and we'll start the 2013 SJ College Football Poll thread with the preseason poll/story.

Once the season starts, the deadline is NOON CENTRAL TIME every Monday ... with Sunday voting strongly encouraged.

Thanks again for volunteering ... now let's hit the sled and get ready for the season!

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: College Football Poll: MEET THE 2013 VOTERS

It would be cool to do the preseason poll before the AP poll comes out. Otherwise, I'm guessing people are influenced by it.

I'm not sure when it comes out.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I did my preseason list today. I would jump on board but, because of other commitments I'm not sure I could hit deadline every week and I really hate to be the one straggler always holding up the train.

5. I Should Coco

I couldn't find a release date for the preseason AP poll either, but it usually comes out between a week and two weeks before the start of the season. I'll guess around Aug. 18.

The USA Today/coaches poll came out today: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9528426/alabama-crimson-tide-no-1-usa-today-preseason-coaches-poll

And of course, there are plenty of preseason college FB mags with their top 25 lists, too.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sir, those are a-fightin' words 'round here.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I do wonder at times where the SEC stuff is leading in the long term.

As a fan of teams from other conferences, I'd have no problem not renewing bowl contracts with SEC tie-ins. Hell, we know we're going to lose and usually by a wide margin. What's the point in that? It's like a AA school competing against a 5A school at times. I'd rather see them play teams on their own level.

If the SEC teams keep getting richer and stronger, maybe they won't have anyone except each other to play against. (And Kentucky can go 0-12 as the perpetual homecoming visitor.)

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Glad to be back.

Has Florida still not played a non-con out of state since '91?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Just when I thought I was back in, I guess I'm OUT!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's OK -- I didn't follow the instructions and send Coco a PM by the deadline -- so if I snooze, I lose.

I'll watch this year from the sidelines.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Good looking panel.
    I offer the following tip to the newbies: Don't over rank Oklahoma. Bob Stoops will disappoint you. (Okay I think in each poll I've done at some point I had the Sooners ranked 1 or 2 and they never finish that high)

Also, UTSA is going to dominate this year!!!!!!! Okay not really.

It looks like I may have a few free Saturdays, I may actually buy a ticket to a football game, just to remember what it's like to not watch the game from the press box or the TV or the press box TVs.

11. I Should Coco

D'oh! Didn't take long for me to make my first error of the 2013 poll.

Starman's on the panel ... he was one of several to reply in the thread ... just forgot to list him. Make it 36 voters!

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Awesome. I promise, no 5 p.m. Monday ballots this year.

Really, I promise. ::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted