1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Running Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 27, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

She wasn't asked about it. (At least it appears that way.) She and Stephen Roderick, the author of the piece, were at a Korean nail salon and she was watching TV while getting a pedicure. The TV was tuned to CNN, and the Stuebenville case was being discussed. She decided to riff on it from there.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But she apologized for what she "supposedly" said.

How's that for a non-denial denial?

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"I wouldn't say something like that" . . . except you did, and it's on tape.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, bloody good on her. Women's tennis needs something to talk about and the fact Sharapova gets her ass kicked every time she faces Serena just adds to it. Sharapova and Victoria Azerenka are the opposite half of the draw from Serena, so we might end up with a bad-blood final.

Women's tennis needs a rivalry in the worst way. Haven't had anything approaching one (at the top) since Justine Henin retired.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe if Sharapova beats Serena she can walk into the interview room, channel her inner Vitas Gerulaitis and proclaim, "Nobody beats Maria Sharapova 14 times in a row."

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I just hope someone can play a competitive match against Serena. Maybe, ya know, actually win a set, like Radwanska did in the final last year.

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I hope Serena continent to destroy everyone in her path and play the heel and talk shit doing it.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Nadal has already dropped a set and is in danger of going down two to a player ranked No. 135 in the world.

9. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

And he's now two sets down to Darcis. Can't take my eyes away from this, especially after what Rosol did last year to Nadal.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Darcis comes right out and gets the break in the first game.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And so much for all the angst over a Rafa-Fed quarterfinal. Darcis wins it.

And it was well earned. He was moving all over the court, painting lines, getting to balls he had no business getting to. Well done.

12. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

I have a question -

I know John McEnroe talked today on ESPN about whether Federer would ever win another Slam title, but I wonder if Nadal has hit the point in his career where if he wins another Slam it will only be in Paris?
    I personally feel he won't, but I'd like to get the opinions of the rest of the people on the board who know a lot more on this than I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted