1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell, Oct 15, 2013.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I would agree on Kraftwerk and Depeche Mode. Also Joy Division/New Order, particularly if they're treated as a single entity.

Not synthpop, but one other 80s band that should be there: The Cure.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The mileage does vary for Genesis. If the HOF had serious standards, it would be understandable why there's so much debate whether or not Pete should be in.

If one compares him to some of the acts already in, he should be in without question. A few hits, lots of misses, all he has done for WOMAD (almost broke him, got the classic lineup back together once in 1982 for a one-off ... wish Pete would have considered it when they last got together for the farewell tour in '07).

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Get the Firehouse.

No, really, I mean it--get the firehouse.

Probably doesn't warrant its own thread, so dropping it here--home owned by KISS guitarist, Ace Frehley, catches on fire.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/15/ace-frehley-house-fire_n_4448853.html

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So is Weird Al Edgar Martinez or Ray Guy?

5. PCLoadLetter

Weird Al may be closer to Eddie Gaedel. Maybe Tim Wakefield or Charlie Hough.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Reunion tour!

7. PCLoadLetter

And the honorees are:

Nirvana
    Peter Gabriel
    KISS
    Cat Stevens
    Hall and Oates
    Linda Ronstadt

Eh. Nirvana's the only no-brainer there for me, though earlier in the thread I said I'd vote yes on all of them but Cat Stevens. Gonna be a dull ceremony, apart from the potential absurdity from KISS. Still waiting for Cheap Trick and Dick Dale to get nominated.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There is going to be some shit-talking during that Kiss induction. Popcorn will be ready.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cat Stevens. Unfuckingreal.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I eagerly await the inevitable induction of Dan Fogelberg and Randy Van Warmer.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Finally, KISS gets in. Well deserved and long overdue.

And I may hurt myself here patting myself on the back, save for the Deep Purple flier vis-à-vis Cat Stevens.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Cap'n Kirk: I'm with you on Yes. Although I wasn't around for it, their early-1970s stretch of albums is great stuff. I've listened to a lot of it this year and admired them both as musicians and songwriters.

And, if the RnR Hall is supposed to honor bands who have influenced/changed the music industry, KISS should have been in long ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted