1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

There is a separate college hall, and he's listed as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

http://www.collegebasketballexperience.com/inductees.aspx

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Smiths aren't in? That's absurd. Morrissey probably thinks he should go in as a solo artist.

Pixies should be on that list. Cheap Trick can get in if Kiss does, though.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Slight threadjack: Is the rock 'n' roll HOF museum worth a visit? I'm pretty sure some of you have been there and posted about it before. What makes it a fun place to visit?

An exhibit on new rock 'n' roll hall-of-famers Yes probably won't send me to Orbitz to buy tickets to Cleveland. But if I ever am in town, I'm guessing any place with artifacts, trivia, exhibits, etc. about the performers who established the genre would be worth seeing.

In short: KISS should be in. Crappy rock music or not, their shows changed the world of live rock 'n' roll (for better or worse).

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The nominees are...

Nirvana - To me, their legacy has diminished in the last 20 years or so. Not really sure if they were as good as everyone thought they were at the time. I think they're HOF worthy...not first ballot though. NO
    The Replacements - Pretty good band. How the hell did they end up on the ballot though? NO
    N.W.A. - YES
    Chic - NO
    Peter Gabriel - Sure, why not. Videos were amazing.
    Kiss - YES or NO. The original members are four of the worst people in rock and roll. If only the stage show (specifically the one from 74 to 78) could be inducted, I'd be fine with that.
    L.L. Cool J - NO
    The Zombies - They aren't in yet? Huh...who knew? YES
    Cat Stevens - NO
    Hall and Oates - NO
    Deep Purple - NO
    Link Wray - NO
    The Meters - NO
    Linda Ronstadt - NO
    Yes - NO

5. Agreed he's done some crap. Wasn't aware he was in for Genesis. But I will go to my grave saying he deserves to be in twice over Hall and Oates pop puffery once

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed on the Pixies. Hugely influential. Listen to Nirvana's music and ignore the voice, and they're virtually indistinguishable from the Pixies.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

My prediction for who will get in:

Nirvana
    Gabriel
    Hall and Oates
    Ronstadt

Who should get in and probably won't: Deep Purple and KISS.

Sure, KISS for the stage show inventiveness, but I won't just stand by and see their music slogged here. Some quite listenable and enjoyable metal moments over the course of their career.

Who I can't believe isn't in already: Yes

For those of us who grew up in the 70s in America, Yes was one of the dominant bands on the landscape at the time. Maybe a handful that were their equivalent or bigger: Zep, Floyd, Skynyrd and maybe Aerosmith. Believe those are all HOF bands. When you're a fixture for a decade or more at the top of the musical consciousness, common sense says you're in the hall.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Thank you.

This should be an absolute no-brainer. The woman was THE female rock personality of her prime. Excelled in about four different subcultures of rock/pop. Her legacy is taking a hit, incredibly, because she was not willing to go out there and play "legends" shows for 20 years. There's an entire generation right now that has no idea of what she was.

And if BYH could have put 50,000 words in on Hall & Oates, I would hope I could hang 75,000 up there, because that's how strongly I feel about their nomination.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Rolling Stone put out a book about Cobain after his suicide. There's no bigger sure-fire entrant on this list, and, yes, I have that book.

10. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Nirvana YES Total lock.

The Replacements YES Probably the most likely inductee out of the big 80s American underground bands because they were the most conventional, but I don't see it happening this year.

N.W.A. YES I said this last year, but I wouldn't be shocked if Dre or Cube made it in as a solo artist first.

Chic NO Nile Rodgers would be a lock if he were nominated as a producer, though.

Peter Gabriel YES He's already in as a member of Genesis, but why not?

Kiss YES They should have been inducted long ago. Plus, a Gene Simmons acceptance speech has the potential to be as hilarious and assholish as Mike Love's.

L.L. Cool J NO Maybe if he retired/died after Mama Said Knock You Out was released...

The Zombies YES One amazing album, three bonafide Oldies radio staples. Why not?

Cat Stevens NO I like him, but no.

Hall and Oates YES

Deep Purple NO No, but they deserve some sort of recognition for this performance of "Highway Star"
    . Maybe a permanent display of Richie Blackmore's pilgrim hat, or something.

Link Wray NO

The Meters NO Good band, but no.

Linda Ronstadt YES Probably a lock due to her retirement announcement.

Yes MAYBE Better them than Emerson, Lake, and Palmer...

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

First a couple of things. I'm still puzzled why Kool & the Gang are NOT in the Hall. That is an outrage. Also, I'm pulling hard for Hall and Oates because Daryl Hall was a Journalism major at Temple University.
    Nirvana YES Total lock.

The Replacements YES
    N.W.A. YES
    Chic NO Hall of very good
    Peter Gabriel YES
    Kiss YES
    L.L. Cool J Yes. A rap pioneer whom many say is GOAT
    The Zombies YES
    Cat Stevens NO
    Hall and Oates YES
    Deep Purple NO
    Link Wray NO
    The Meters NO
    Linda Ronstadt YES
    Yes Yes

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've been there twice. Was in Cleveland for a week for work and went there one afternoon. It helped kill a day after work. This time, they had a special exhibit on Bruce Springsteen, so that made it even better.

About a year later, I went again when I was there for work. Couple people hadn't seen it, so I figured why not. Special exhibit this time was Women of Rock dresses.

The one thing that sucks about the Hall is you can't take pictures inside the museum. But overall, it was a pretty good experience.

If you go, you can buy a combo ticket for the Football Hall of Fame, which is about 30-40 minutes from Cleveland. It saves about $10 from buying the two separately.

Draft saved Draft deleted