1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Except that as a performer, he was "Cat Stevens." He changed his name after he "retired" from music (though I realize he has since released music under his new name, though none of that will get him in the Hall of Fame).

If you look in the UCLA record books, it's Lew Alcindor. Just like it's Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf) at LSU.

If there was a separate College Basketball Hall of Fame, it would be interesting to see which name would be on the plaque.

And Cat Stevens itself was a stage name anyway. His real name was Stephen Georgieu.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How is this Linda Rondstadt's first year of eligibility?

3. Hall and Oates are a Yes and Peter Gabriel is a no???
    What defines contribution to music in your mind?
    Not only was Gabriel a founding member of Genesis, a significant contributor to progressive rock, but has had a successful and influential solo career.
    More significantly, perhaps, is his championing of musicians, particularly from Africa, as well as efforts like WOMAD.

Hall and Oates? Give me a break

Yelling done

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I can't go for that.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No can do.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well aware of Gabriel's career, just doesn't do it for me - his first couple solo albums aside. ("Modern Love" might be the best Pete Townshend song he never wrote.) And I never had any use for Genesis in any of its incarnations. Your mileage may vary.

Not the biggest H&O fan (if BYH wanders into this thread he will spend 50,000 words defending them) but it's tough to argue with their chart success.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's not. She just hasn't been nominated until now.

8. PCLoadLetter

And worth remembering -- Peter Gabriel is in as a member of Genesis. This would strictly be for his solo career. Hard for me to get too worked up about that either way. He's done some terrific stuff, but it's been a while. He's also done some real crap.

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Which is ridiculous that she's not already in. She was truly one of the biggest female rock stars. Sad that she can no longer sing because of her health.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Nirvana: Yes, easily.

The Replacements: There aren't many alt-rock/college rock bands in the Hall of Fame. I'm not sure why they deserve in more than Pixies. But I think both deserve to be in.

N.W.A.: As I said before, I have mixed feelings. But I think the easy (Eazy) remedy would be to vote in the group and not the solo performers, unless Dr. Dre's production credits count, in which case he absolutely needs to be in as a solo performer.

Chic: No.

Peter Gabriel: No. Doubling up needs to be reserved for the true greats.

Kiss: No. Critical acclaim isn't the only factor, but it should be a factor. Kiss made trash rock.

L.L. Cool J: No. Putting him on this ballot over so many better rap groups is a little annoying.

The Zombies: Maybe. Sure, they had some good songs and one good album. But the only reason they might get in is because so many of their peers already are. If The Zombies came out in the 1980s, no one would say yes.

Cat Stevens: I'm not that familiar with his work, but I don't think this is even close: No.

Hall and Oates: No.

Deep Purple: Can't we just induct Ritchie Blackmore? The rest of the band doesn't deserve it.

Link Wray: I only know "Rumble," but on the influence of that alone, I say let him in. That was the genesis of metal.

The Meters: Nope. For a backing band to get in, you have to be Booker T & the MGs.

Linda Ronstadt: In the effort to give more spots to women, she makes sense.

Yes: No. Well, maybe yes. But King Crimson hasn't even sniffed a shot.

11. PCLoadLetter

I'll amend my earlier list of bands that should be in but aren't: Cheap Trick, Dick Dale, and The Smiths.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nirvana...Yes under the Koufax theory
    The Replacements...No, others more influential
    N.W.A....Don't know the genre enough to comment
    Chic....No, a producer-ran genre in which no group deserves to be inducted
    Peter Gabriel...Will get in because of Biko, but I wouldn't be inclined to put him in
    Kiss....Yes, should've been in long ago.
    L.L. Cool J....See NWA
    The Zombies...No way.
    Cat Stevens...No, very short peak, and wasn't super influential in his genre
    Hall and Oates...No, put out generally decent music, but nothing really moving
    Deep Purple...Nah
    Link Wray...No
    The Meters...No
    Linda Ronstadt....No, awesome voice but largely a cover artist
    Yes....No, but tough call

Draft saved Draft deleted