1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cat Stevens? Fail.

Still no Paul Revere and the Raiders? Fail.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Nirvana is the only mortal lock on that list. I thought The Zombies were already in. They should be.

My initial reaction:

Nirvana -- YES
    The Replacements -- YES
    N.W.A. -- not a hip-hop guy in the slightest. I'll defer to others; I suspect YES
    Chic -- Nile Rodgers should be in, but collectively, NO
    Peter Gabriel -- UM, I GUESS
    Kiss -- For mostly the wrong reasons, YES
    L.L. Cool J -- Fuck NO. Are you kidding me?
    The Zombies -- Absolutely YES
    Cat Stevens -- NO
    Hall and Oates -- YES
    Deep Purple -- I just don't care.
    Link Wray -- YES
    The Meters -- NO
    Linda Ronstadt -- YES
    Yes -- See Deep Purple

I'm not big on the whole "The Hall is a disgrace until ______ is in it!" thing. When you look at the full list of inductees they've actually gotten it mostly right.

Having said that, there are two acts that should be in before anybody but Nirvana on this list: Cheap Trick and Dick Dale. And it seems odd to me that Link Wray is nominated before Dick Dale.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

The influence of Link Wray and "Rumble" was trans-Atlantic before anybody had ever heard of Dick Dale, with all due respect to him and his accomplishments. He definitely deserves to be in the RRHOF as well.

As for LL Cool J, he's a rap pioneer who was absolutely a huge reason why hip-hop crossed over to the mainstream starting in the mid '80s. Hall-worthy for sure.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Impeach Rush.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

LL Cool J is not Hall of Fame worthy. He had two albums worth a damn and two-plus decades of really bad music. He was a pioneer in terms of fame but not in terms of style. Yes, Radio is a classic and Mama Said Knock You Out is better than the title track. But he is well behind the level expected from Rock and Roll Hall of Fame rap acts. He's a Rap Hall of Famer, but there is no Rap Hall of Fame.

I'm torn on N.W.A., as I said in last year's thread, because the influence of Straight Outta Compton was tremendous, but the rest of the group's stuff was pretty bad. Moreover, Dr. Dre and Ice Cube both clearly had better solo careers. Dr. Dre is a mortal lock in 2017 if N.W.A. doesn't get in before then. Ice Cube's first three solo albums are all classics, and he continued on for years making good gangsta rap even as his movie career overshadowed it.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The rest of NWA's stuff was so bad because Ice Cube left right after SOC. He wrote almost all the lyrics. (And Dre had such a good solo career in large part because Snoop Dogg was writing his rhymes for him).

And given her recent revelation about her illness, I'd say Ronstadt is a pretty solid lock to get in this year.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Cheap Trick continues to be a glaring omission for nomination. No Stevie Ray Vaughan, Warren Zevon, Roxy Music, Motorhead or Little Feat? WTF.....

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Now that Rush is in there are no longer any glaring omissions. No reason to care about this anymore.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm would have thought that The Zombies were already in. She's Not There
    and Time of Season are 2 of all time great rock songs.

I guess it's not too late for RRHOF to say their sorry, but why should they care.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Nirvana - Yes
    The Replacements - Yes
    N.W.A. - Yes
    Chic - As PC says, Nile Rodgers belongs, the rest, not so much
    Peter Gabriel - No
    Kiss - Like Alice Cooper and Rush before them, should have been in years ago
    L.L. Cool J - No
    The Zombies - No
    Cat Stevens - Uh, no, not even as a Jann Wenner special
    Hall and Oates - Yes
    Deep Purple - Yes
    Link Wray - No
    The Meters - Played on loads of great records and made a few of their own, but no
    Linda Ronstadt - This year's Jann Wenner special but much more deserving than some others who have fit this bill
    Yes - No

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the HOF be using Cat Stevens real name of Yusuf Islam in announcing his
    nomination.

This would be analogous of the Basketball HOF announcing that Lew Alcindor
    was nominated.

Draft saved Draft deleted