1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Dec 31, 2012.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I wonder if they would go with an announced cash-in. Such as, Ziggler (whose name I wish they would somehow change, call him Big Dolph, D-Zig, anything) announces that at Wrestlemania he will be standing ringside and will cash in immediately against whoever wins the World Championship bout. It certainly would spice up the World Championship bout, which right now is looking like a weak link.

2. Petrie

Petrie Guest

They already did the announced cash-in with Cena, though. Not saying they couldn't do it again...

EC seems the most logical/realistic from the "professional wrestling" standpoint. Whoever escapes with the belt will be ripe for the picking. What if Ziggler was in the actual WHC match, got caught/pinned in about a minute, then cashed in at the end of the match?

Two more random notes about Elimination Chamber:
    1) I was just thinking about the year Edge was the first eliminated in the WHC match, jumped Kofi and locked himself into the chamber to enter the other and walked out with the WWE title. Good times!
    2) Wasn't this PPV so much cooler when it was called No Way Out? Like wasn't it obvious enough what the gimmick was?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The chamber match used to be an awesome event when there was only one.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT for SmackDown ... even though it's posted on WWE's website anyway, I'll still put it in the small print.

Alberto Del Rio captured the World Heavyweight Championship from the Big Show ... apparently the match was changed to a title match. Looks like they are going strong on Del Rio's face push.

5. KYSportsWriter

PARTIAL SPOILER

I guess one has to wonder if Show is hurt or if something is up. Kinda weird they'd make a title switch this close to one of the big pay per views.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Rumor has it they want to build the SmackDown show back up into something that has to be seen weekly, since they are in a contract year with SyFy. This, and the Rock's appearance, was the first step.

7. Monday's show, if nothing else, just reminds you how good a worker Dolph has become. He sells the shit out of moves, and clearly isn't afraid to be the company man jobbing to Cena over and over again. That was pretty evident in how many finishers Cena kicked out of, and his eventual one-finisher loss. Of course, that could change once they decide to put the strap on him. Maybe they are waiting for his mic-work to improve, and IMO it has over the last few months.

8. billikens

billikens Member

I have no idea what they're doing with the WHC right now. They've got Big Show and Del Rio in the mix. I've heard rumors that they're looking for a Sheamus-Orton WHC feud at Wrestlemania, and there's Dolph, just waiting around to cash in for his run with the title.

I guess they could have DZ cash in between now and EC, drop it at EC to Orton/Sheamus, and they're set, but that seems like a huge wasted opportunity for Ziggler.

Or maybe I need to stop reading into rumors I read online.

9. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Excited to hear that El Generico signed with the WWE. Based on how long Ambrose, Cesaro, Rollins and other former indies spent in their development training, Generico could be up by 2014. As a smaller guy myself (5-9, 150), it's nice to see at least some smaller guys (like Generico, 5-11, 195) on the roster.

10. KYSportsWriter

Gotta love folks going apeshit over sites like wrestlinginc.com posting about what happens on Smackdown.

If WWE tweets and posts it on the website for all to see, it's no longer a spoiler.

Which is why I say we create a general rule of thumb for this thread: if something like that is posted on the WWE website or it gets tweeted out as breaking news, it's not a spoiler and we don't need to type in spoiler text on here.

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Another thought about this: The most recent IC title change, which was taped, was posted by WWE.com almost immediately afterward as well. They seem to be doing Eric Bischoff's work for him [/circa96]. Do you guys think they're trying to make title changes a big deal and breaking them right away, or is this, "Hey, we've got a title change! ...please tune in?"

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

What if someone isn't on Twitter and doesn't visit the WWE website, but wants to participate in discussion here without having anything that hasn't aired spoiled?

Put the spoiler tag/text size on it. Therefore, if someone really wants to see it, they can.

Draft saved Draft deleted