1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I usually think that when it comes to owners and Canton, unless you were one of the owners who played a large role in helping form the league (the Rooneys, the Maras, Al Davis, Hunts etc...) the criteria to get in should be insanely high...

I'm a Niners die hard, but I would vote for Modell before I would vote for Eddie D.

Modell was one of the owners who agreed to give up his stakes in a TV network because revenue sharing was in the best interest of the league...

DeBartolo was just an awesome owner who spent a lot of money and whose players loved him.

2. Mizzougrad96

I also think that after Parcells gets in, that Belichick is the only other coach who is deserving of going into Canton.

I know you can make a pretty good case for Shanahan, Coughlin, Cowher and maybe Dungy and Holmgren, but I would rather put none of them in than put all of them in. I tend to think all of them will eventually get in.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I agree. If you start inducting every guy who hung around for a long time and won one (and maybe two Super Bowls) it will become unwieldy. But those guys you mention will likely all get enshrined, while a guy like Schottenheimer (200 career wins, 6th most ever) and an impressive .613 winning percentage won't ever get close bc he never took his team to SB much less won one.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

He should be.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

false.

6. Mizzougrad96

Schottenheimer is a tough one.

The others? I think you would have a pretty hard time justifying how Dungy would be more deserving than Holmgren, even though I would probably argue that Dungy has a better chance of getting into Canton.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not.

Ultimate compiler. Played 16 years to score those 100 touchdowns. Best season was 104-1408-5 and that was when the team finished 4-12 and Jeff George was chucking it to him on every play. One appearance on AP's All-Pro second team.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Nothing wrong with being a compiler. Not too many players get to "compile" for that long and do it as well. James Lofton anyone?

9. Mizzougrad96

It will be interesting to see if Tim Brown gets into Canton. I think he eventually will, but I would have called him a lock a few years ago... I don't see him going in ahead of Carter or Reed.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

James Lofton retired as the career receiving yards leader.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I wasn't taking a swipe at Lofton. Some people say compiler like its a bad word. If it were so easy, everyone would do it. I'm not sure Lofton was ever considered the best receiver in the game, but he was a great receiver for a long time.

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

There are a lot of players not as good as Tim Brown who are already in. If Kurt Warner gets in, open the flood gates as far as I am concerned.

If Warner gets in, so should Randall Cunningham and there is no way Cunningham will ever get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted