1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Why not follow the example of baseball and let the hall sit this one out? Lol

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think Aenaes Williams was a fine player who would fit in the Hall of Fame. But when was he a top-10 player in the NFL?

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Williams was a great player and will get in one day. Only other issue he faces is was never the clear cut best cb in the game for an extended period of time. Of course, with sanders and woodson in the league that will happen.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Compare Long's stats at defensive end to other defensive ends of his era.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LongHo00.htm

He was only All-Pro twice, and it's not like he was playing for a crap team that got little exposure. Being on TV definitely helped his cause for the Hall, as did being a nice guy and a great actor.

YOU'D have to be on drugs to think that Long was vastly superior to Charles Haley, Clyde Simmons, Chris Doleman or even his old longtime teammate Greg Townsend. Long got into the Hall in his second year, while Doleman had to wait a long time and Simmons, Haley and many others of that era haven't gotten in and some haven't even been close to induction.

Haley won five rings and a two-time All Pro. But he was also a loose cannon and not as photogenic as Howie Long, the human embodiment of GI Joe.

I think you might be a bit biased because Long wrote your favorite book, http://www.amazon.com/Football-Dummies-USA-Howie-Long/dp/1118012615

;)

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Stats don't tell Long's story. He was a complete defensive end with the ability to rush the passer and dominate the run. They were non existent in the NFL at the time as people wanted the Gastineaus and the Bakers to simple rush, rush and rush and hopefully be able to play the run.

In his prime, Long was consistently double teamed -- likely more than any down lineman in the league. Greg Townsend was a great player, but he was a pass rusher pure and simple. Doleman was a better pass rusher than Townsend.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Whatever. Sacks are the only way to evaluate a defensive end. - CD Boogie

8. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Stats are the best way to evaluate all football players.

Just look at offensive linemen.

9. CD Boogie

If you're gonna quote me, peanut gallery boy, I'd prefer you use quotes. I never said Long wasn't a Hall of Famer, I merely said his position on TV helped his candidacy to the detriment of others who were less famous. A Hall of Fame that is more welcoming to players who have national Radio Shack commercials with Teri Hatcher? GTFO.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

At the vote where Long was elected, he was the second fastest to get in after Joe Montana.

11. CD Boogie

Might be time to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector.
    "Well that just settles everything, now doesn't it?" -- Jeff Saturday, second-team Packers center, 2012 Pro Bowler.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Part of the reason it's so impossible to predict which guys will get in is that when electing coaches or owners, there's really no rhyme or reason when the committee will decide is their time. It may be something like, "I'm not voting in another receiver, so I'll vote for Parcells." or "I want two offensive linemen to get in, so I'll vote for Parcells next year."

I kind of feel like if DeBartolo is going to get in, this will be the year. Even as a Niners fan, I'm a little surprised he's made the finalists two years in a row and I think he has momentum on his side, between "A Football Life" running and the possibility of the Niners making the Super Bowl. I know things like that shouldn't make a difference, but I think they do...

Draft saved Draft deleted