1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Finalists

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 11, 2013.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I wouldn't have a problem with any combination of the 15. I think the least deserving are Greene, Williams and Modell, but I know a solid case can be made for each of them, too.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Along the same lines, it's disappointing that a little punk ass bitch like Cris Carter will get in too.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Carter did whine a lot with Minnesota, but he definitely should be in. Was one of the most feared receivers of his time. The knock on him is that he only had a 10-yard per catch average, but dude has more touchdowns than anyone not named Jerry Rice. All he did was catch touchdowns.

Sapp had five great seasons, and then was just a solid player for seven of his other eight seasons. His final year with the Raiders he was just going through the motions to collect a paycheck.
    He had a big mouth, which is why he became a household name and an overrated player. Plus he tried to end the career of Chad Clifton and then tried to pick a fight with another team's head coach (Mike Sherman). Those are not Hall worthy actions. He's even worse on TV, says stuff that is way off base, and has never shown any kind of remorse for anything he's ever said or done. He is one of those people who never admit when they're wrong, like he's so arrogant that he believes he can never make a mistake. He is a horrible human being and I really pray he never gets into the Hall, even though I'm fairly confident he will.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You sound like the perfect baseball hof voter.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Never understood the fascination with Andre Reed. Never a first-team All-Pro, twice he was second-team (AP), not remarkable career totals and none of his seasons even stand out as extraordinary. Career highs of 90 catches; 1,312 yards; 10 touchdowns; all of those in different seasons. Even if he did all of that in one season it wouldn't be that extraordinary. Finished top-five in receptions twice. Finished top-five in yards twice. Finished top-five in TDs once.

Just doesn't pop off the page at all.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I bet one of Jonathan Ogden and Larry Allen misses. That's the way this Hall of Fame works.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I agree. But he was the best receiver on the only team to reach four straight Super Bowls, so he picks up some points for that.

Sadly that makes sense. I'm guessing it's Parcells, Carter, Strahan, Sapp, and Bettis. Not saying they're the most deservng, but Carter has been the most notable "snub" in recent years and the other four are the most famous of the finalists. Plus they all play different positions.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I'll say one of the OLs goes in (probably Allen, but maybe Ogden) over Bettis or Sapp.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Shields and Parcells are going to be two of the five. Shields is the next in line for offensive linemen after having to wait last year and Parcells is the top non-player of the bunch.

I think Haley is going to picked as the lone defensive guy.

The only first-year battle is going to be between Ogen or Allen. Strahan and Sapp are in the final 15 so they can be fast-tracked for next year. The 10 holdovers were all finalists last year. It's just how their voting process works.

11. If Kevin Greene is ever elected would he go in as a Steeler?
    A Ram?
    Panther?

He was a long time Ram and had his two best years (sack wise) as a Ram, but he his star seemed to really rise in Pittsburgh and then in Carolina.

Nationally, I think he's recognized as a Steeler, or Panther, but I think he would go in as a Ram.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Unlike baseball, football Hall of Famers don't go in as a member of a certain team. They are simply inducted.

I'm not sure why that's a big deal in the baseball Hall. I'm guessing it's because their likenesses are wearing a certain team's hat. The busts in the football Hall don't wear helmets, so there is no team designation.

Draft saved Draft deleted