1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Preakness Stakes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, May 17, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And horse racing season has ended. See you next May.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

orb: most overrated horse of '13

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When I go to the track, I stick with the Bobby Hill (of "King of the Hill" TV show) theory.

"You should bet on No. 7. I just watched him take a dump in the paddock. That means he's lighter and he'll run faster."

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, shit. The last horse I threw out of the boxes. Damn it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Here's the baffling thing about horse racing..... you can take those same nine horses, line them up and let them race tomorrow and you'll likely get a totally different outcome.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

78 was the 3rd TC in 5 years, which followed a 26 year drought. And after the second TC in a orw, there was talk it was too easy, iirc.

IIRC, Affirmed and Alydar went 1-2 in each race, or at least Alydar finished in the money in all 3. Secretariat was the greatest sporting competitor of the 20th century. (Babe Ruth, Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano were the others, IMHO).

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I hear that Gretzky guy was pretty good, too.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think the dearth of Triple Crowns is akin to why we don't see UCLA title runs in NCAA basketball or the Yankees in MLB and the Celtics in the NBA. Greater distribution of talent, more opportunities for more horses, better technology in more hands. In short, a lot more variables at play.
    Now as to why horses aren't getting faster? Horses can't read the record books and put a picture of Secretariat on the wall, the money is even bigger and means more risk for owners. Why push a horse for the TC when winning just one of the races can net big stud fees.

Draft saved Draft deleted