1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. I thought Denzel was terrific in Flight. I didn't care much for the movie but definitely deserving of his nod. In fact, if not for DDL, he'd likely be considered a favorite I think.

That is an awesome list of supporting actors. Is it likely that PSH is going to win that or do people think it's wide open? I've mentioned it previously but Waltz's performance was one of my favorites of the year.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh ... my. :)

http://mankabros.com/blogs/chairman/2013/01/10/again-the-academy-of-motion-picture-arts-and-sciences-can-f-itself/

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Affleck got his comeuppance from his colleagues; there was a lot of grumbling among the actors set that he shouldn't have cast himself in the lead role.

4. But don't directors vote for directors and actors for actors, etc.?

5. turski7

turski7 Member

I feel like Bigelow is being punished for winning a few years ago. That's what I can't stand about the Oscars.
    Anyway, it just sets up for a Lincoln to cruise to sweep 3 major categories.
    Supporting actor is loaded. Is it me, or is Arkin nominated every year, or does it just feel like that?

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

-Naomi Watts was in a fucking hospital bed for just about the whole of The Impossible. Tom Holland (playing her oldest son) owned that film.
    -Little surprised that Peter Jackson's documentary on the West Memphis 3 didn't get a nom.
    -I haven't seen a lot of these films, but I can clearly see why television is gaining the upper hand on film.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

It was a surprise to me. I thought Argo was a very well directed movie.

Amour has received wonderful reviews.

Life of Pi remains my favorite although it doesn't appear to have a serious chance of winning. I enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook but I don't see it as a best picture.

8. I actually thought it was one of the best year we've had for movies in a long time. Started a little slow but aside from the fact that there weren't really any comedies that did much for me, it was a good year mixing strong blockbusters - Avengers, Skyfall, TDKR - with just really good movies like Life of Pi, Django, Argo, etc.

Maybe just me, though.

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

-Shocked that both Ben Affleck and Kathryn Bigelow were passed over for Best Director. This more or less rules out any shot of Argo or Zero Dark Thirty winning Best Picture. I expected those films to be the front runners, along with Lincoln. Affleck was snubbed.

-Given the last point, the front runners have obviously changed. Lincoln is the obvious front runner, and I’d put Life of Pi and especially Silver Linings Playbook as the dark horses. I’m definitely on board with Silver Linings Playbook, one of the year’s best.

-Surprised that Beasts of the Southern Wild and Amour scored Best Director nominations.

-I’m annoyed Les Miserables scored a nomination for Best Picture, but I’m not surprised. Besides, no nomination for director Tom Hooper torpedoes any shot that film had at winning Best Picture.

-As much as I enjoyed Django Unchained, I’m not upset Tarantino didn’t get a director nomination; I wouldn’t have nominated him either. Picture and original screenplay are enough.

-DiCaprio not getting nominated is surprising given it was his first time playing a villain. Not a snub necessarily, just surprising.

-Jacki Weaver’s nomination is shocking to me.

-I liked Alan Arkin in Argo, but it isn’t an Oscar worthy turn.

-Moonrise Kingdom definitely deserved more, but I’m happy with a Original Screenplay nod.

-Robert De Niro’s first Oscar nomination in over twenty years. Well deserved.

-With five nominations, Skyfall is the most nominated Bond film ever.

-Speaking of Skyfall, Deakins’ cinematography was nominated.

-Paul Thomas Anderson was unfairly ignored. No nominations for Writing or Directing.

-On the plus side, The Master‘s principle actors were all nominated, which is very well deserved.

-Prometheus was snubbed for Production Design.

-First time a Peter Jackson adventure in Middle Earth was NOT nominated for Best Picture

-Great films not nominated for Best Picture: Chronicle, Looper, Moonrise Kingdom, Skyfall, The Master, Prometheus, The Avengers, and The Raid. Not that I expected these films to be nominated, but just thought I’d mention them.

-I have yet to see: Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Life of Pi.

Overall, not a bad selection in spite of my problems. At this point I’m betting on Lincoln winning top honours, but of the front runners, I’m pulling for Silver Linings Playbook.

10. TigerVols

It didn't break any new ground.

But the category will be a close one...Looking for Sugarman is a cult hit, but, frankly, The Gatekeepers will get the Jewish vote.

11. TigerVols

There are a lot of actors who are also members of the Director's Guild.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm afraid to see "Amour." I think it's going to upset me a lot. I know "The Impossible" is also difficult, but it doesn't scare me the way "Amour" does.

Draft saved Draft deleted