1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Word for word.

2. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

I have to agree overall. I think it was a fantastically well acted movie, but I didn't leave the theater feeling blown away. It really just felt like a ton of speeches stacked on top of one another. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but I don't get why critics are hailing it as a masterwork? It was a tough idea to transform onto the screen, and I do think for the most part it worked. But, it wasn't the best picture I saw this year.

I do have to disagree though, that I loved Sally Field. I felt that her over the top performance was actually a nice contrast to DDL. Oh, and James Spader was terrific.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a prayer, but between "Killer Joe" and "Magic Mike," Matthew McConaughey should win a new category: Coolest Actor of the Year.

Two outstanding performances in two highly entertaining films from this year that will unfortunately be forgotten too soon.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I doubt "Magic Mike" will be "forgotten too soon" if the Facebook feeds of the horny 40-year-old women I went to high school with are any indication.

5. Dick Whitman

Ha, that's true. My wife told me that her Facebook feed was absolutely lit up with excited posts about it when it was in theaters.

I really liked it. I thought it was very entertaining. At heart, it's really a business movie, kind of like "The Social Network" was more of a business/legal thriller than "The Facebook Movie."

I think that "Magic Mike" could have been even better without the forced love interest story. But know your audience, I guess.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some reason I thought the nominations came out today...

I finally saw Django Unchained. Waltz' part should be considered a lead role, but I hope he wins in whatever category he winds up in...

7. Good to see someone agree with me on this. I thought he stole the show. Again.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He'll wind up in Supporting and lose to Tommy Lee Jones.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Django might get nominated since they expanded the nomination pool, but in the old five-movie nomination format, I'd be against nominating it. Uneven.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not as badly as he'd lose to DDL for Best Actor. That's a foregone conclusion.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, there's no question Day Lewis is going to win Best Actor. The other nominees don't have to worry about writing speeches...

I don't get why people think Tommy Lee Jones is so great in Lincoln. I love Tommy Lee Jones, but he almost always seems to play the exact same character. He's very good at playing ornery. I agree that Stratharian (sp?) was better than Jones.

12. Dick Whitman

Maybe TLJ can get nominated for both "Lincoln" and "Men in Black 3"!

Draft saved Draft deleted