1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Oscars thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Less than a week until the nominations come out, and the chatter is in full force by now.

Here's a good list of potential Best Picture nominees:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2013-oscar-predictions-best-picture

I haven't seen as many of these as I'd like to due to life circumstances, but I have seen both "The Master" and "Moonrise Kingdom." I loved both of them, but I think that "The Master" will be nominated and "Moonrise Kingdom" will be left out. "The Master" will get the "Tree of Life" slot for a challenging movie by a respected director.

"Lincoln" gets this year's "Blind Side"/"The Help" memorial slot for a movie about white people saving the day for black people. Unlike the other two, however, I bet it wins. The rest of the list seems pretty solid. I could see "Amour" getting shut out, though. Critics love it, but they loved "A Separation" last year, too.

There's been some buzz lately about "Skyfall" earning a nomination.

2. Dick Whitman

Oh, also, it's remarkable how quickly "The Hunger Games" fell off the awards radar. I remember when it first came out, and critics were swept up in the buzz, it was getting rave reviews and looked like a potential blockbuster awards breakthrough.

Hopefully now people have come to their senses and realized that it was a big pile of suck.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked The Hunger Games a lot, but on no level is it an "Oscar movie"...

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Moonrise Kingdom will get a lot more love than The Master.

I'm curious to see if Skyfall gets a Best Picture nod. It might.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's because typically, "Oscar movies" suck.

6. Dick Whitman

Then maybe "The Hunger Games" should be nominated!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

I think The Master might get an acting nod or two, but I don't really expect it to be nominated for Best Picture unless they nominate 9 or 10...

I'm guessing these will be the ones considered...

Argo
    Lincoln
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Les Miserables
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Django Unchained
    Life of Pi
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    The Hobbit

I've only seen Lincoln, Argo and Moonrise Kingdom and I liked Argo best of those three.

8. Mizzougrad96

Skyfall is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I'd be stunned if it's nominated for Best Picture...

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

10. Mizzougrad96

According to EW, the favorites for each acting category are:

Actor: Day Lewis as a lock to win. I don't disagree.

Actress: Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty or Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook

Supporting actor (wide open): Waltz for Django; DeNiro for Silver Linings Playbook, Hoffman for The Master, Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln.

Supporting actress: Sally Field for Lincoln and Hathaway for Les Mis.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

See I feel like Silver Linings Playbook is going to win, which for me would be yet another Oscar BP disappointment. Not on the level of Gump, but more like a meh, 'Shakespeare In Love' kind of year.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I have a hard time thinking the Academy actually bestows some love on Tarentino (although Pulp Fiction got nominated I believe.)

Draft saved Draft deleted