1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They like to collect forwards from Quebec who were great scorers in a previous lifetime.

2. The Islanders waive Rick DiPietro. Any teams looking for an <i>injury-prone</i> goalie?

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This says a hell of a lot about some of the people who cover the game. Completely bush league.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Absolutely embarrassing. Not even so much that Ovechkin got 45 votes for top LW, but 41 of those were first place votes. Also cost Hall a $50,000 bonus, not that anyone should weep for the young millionaire, but he was edged out by 12 points.

Here's a more detailed story on the process and a breakdown of the voting.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/ovechkin-makes-both-all-star-teams-in-nhl-awards-voting-gaffe/article12950304/

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

A team located in a red state.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Does anyone care about NHL All-Stars? Seriously.

Does being named one give a player some leverage when his agent is negotiating a new contract?

Second team is what, the "Sorta Good Hockey Players"?

Bush league crap

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

2nd team means you are the second best at that position for that year. Players get paid for these, damn rights voters should take their jobs seriously. It's not the all star game

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The league gives out bonuses to the players for these selections, Hall reportedly is missing out on $50,000 because of it, and for others who are coming up on contract time and free agency this plays big into their leverage. Plus there is also the aspect of the writers looking like a bunch of jerkoffs who don't know what's going on on their own beat, and considering that beat is covering one of the major professional sports in North America, it is a big deal in a lot of respects, whether the fans really care about it or not.

And thus concludes my 8,000th post. Glad it was on an NHL thread.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm clearly wrong about their importance so I defer to JC and Beef.

I just don't give a shit. I rank these awards slightly above the All Star Game which is slightly above the Winter Classic :)

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I really don't care who wins them either, I care more that a good percentage of people who are paid to supposedly follow the game are truly incompetent.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Huge trade in the works. Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. Other parts involved as well.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/352849443525115906

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now complete. Holy crap.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426938

Dallas gets Seguin, Peverly and defensive prospect Ryan Button

Boston gets Erikkson, former first round pick Joe Morrow, rookie Reilly Smith and forward Matt Fraser.

Draft saved Draft deleted