1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NHL Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 27, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good grab. And I deserved it.

Betcha Bolland's jerseys sales will start tomorrow at the ACC and they'll be over the top.

EDIT: Carl Gunnarsson has #36. I wonder if Bolland will buy it from him

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was trying to emulate David Stern.

Stern was brilliant. Gary was ... Gary. Big surprise.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

All I can say is, what an awful fucking draft by the Oilers today. I love the Nurse pick at 7 but everything else was a giant clusterfuck. got nothing done. kept trading back and trading back and trading back. Yes MacT you accumulated a lot of pics, but will any of them ever make it to the NHL? What a fucking joke.

And to top it off, no trade for Coburn, would rather he packaged Paajarvi and the two No. 2s to Philly for Coburn, instead of picking up another small skilled centre out of the Q and a raft of third and fourth liners. What the hell was he thinking?

All talk, no fucking action.

Brutal.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. Still very much pissed. unfuckingbelievable. At least Tambellini didn't lead you on, you just knew he was going to keep the ship pointed in the same direction, for better or worse. You wanted to believe he would make an impact move but knew in the end he wouldn't. This is almost worse.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was surprised Fucale fell as he did, but not nearly as much as Craig Button was. I don't know if the kid will eventually be the franchise player Button predicts but it doesn't seem as if he will be challenging Price soon.

Just a personal pet peeve but I'm so sick of owners' jersey-clad kids ascending the stage at these things. The Katz boy seems to be growing before MY eyes.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1.

I'm annoyed every year when Bettman is pointing and giving orders on stage like these owners and GMs are his servants. Jim Gregory sounds like The-100-Year-Old-Man running the show after Round 1, but he's a refreshing relief from Bettman.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Goalies always take a few years to develop. Schneider spent three years in the AHL before sticking with the Canucks, and I think Bernier was the same way with the Kings. However, it is usually good to have options, unless you make a complete mess of things like Gillis did.

And what you see growing is the Katz kid's fro. And yes, it is embarrassing. Wish it would stop in the worst way. You're a multi-billionaire, you can afford to take a family picture elsewhere. I can see Darnell Nurse showing his draft day photo to friends and family in about 20 years and trying to explain who the awkward looking kid with the Richard Simmons fro is. Great memory.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bolland should get one of those custom jerseys that is half Blackhawks, half Leafs. He did win the Cup while playing for Chicago, after all.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's a joke, right?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Anyone want to guess where Tim Thomas lands? Wants back in the league after his year-long sabbatical.

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Not in Washington that's for sure. :D

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Bozak trying to get 8 years and just shy of $40 million out of the Leafs. He has Shawn Horcoff -- a guy who in his prime, is ideally suited as a second line centre but played first line centre because of a lack of options -- written all over him and now trying to get an even worse contract out of Toronto. Horc at least cashed in off of a Stanley Cup run, a 73-point season and years of service to a club. Still trying to figure out what Bozak has done to figure he's worth that cash.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426783

Draft saved Draft deleted