1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL HOF Induction Ceremony

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Anyone watch? Always one of my favorite NFL events because it genuine. You get speeches from the heart
    and a window into the players as people. Besides players families, true fans actually get to attend,
    unlike The Super Bowl that has become one big corporate promotion.

Like 'em all but favorite speech of the night might have been Dave Robinson's. His induction was long overdue.

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

From Peter King in in today's MMQB: I think this is how I’d handicap the 2014 class of Pro Football Hall of Fame candidates, in order: Michael Strahan 4-5 … Charles Haley Even … Will Shields 7-5 … Marvin Harrison and Derrick Brooks 2-1 … Andre Reed, Aeneas Williams and Tony Dungy 3-1 … Jerome Bettis 7-2.

To me, Strahan, Shields and Brooks are locks for three spots. I think one spot goes to a receiver and I can't believe they put Harrison in on the first ballot. The fifth should probably be Haley but they've passed him over so much I can't tell on him.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Robinson's was the best by far. Sapp's was good.

Parcells' speech was a bunch of palaver. One of the great complainers of the modern NFL -- he sniffed and pissed and moaned with the best of them about every perceived slight and every subpar performance -- and he's up there talking about "losers" congregating in small groups and complaining. Parcells was a good coach. But he's pretty immersed in his own legend at this point.

4. Boom_70

I think it all changed for Parcells in '84 when he thought that he was going to get fired and realized how little loyalty there was and that he
    needed to look out for himself. Only hours after The Giants won 86 Super Bowl he was already talking to Atlanta about their HC job.
    Besides being a good football coach, he became a pretty good business man in practicing the art of leverage.

Over time I've grown weary of The Parcells persona.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Ditto the praise for Dave Robinson. I liked Larry Allen's speech as well.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Brooks is the interesting one, to me. I am going to show some bias here. I covered the Bucs for about three years, and Brooks was an absolute beast. I left that newspaper right before the Super Bowl season and him winning DPOY, but he was the best player on that team. Better than Lynch. Better than Sapp.

The problem (again my bias) was I would talk to my friends outside of Tampa, and they never heard of him. I always struck me as so odd that here was a guy who was an all-pro and he seemed invisible to the general fan base. I remember him winning DPOY and people in my next shop not knowing who he was. I vividly remember him being on the cover of the 2003 NFL press guide, and one of the other writers (MLB guy) seeing it on my desk and asking who the hell is that? (in his defense, he was a heck of a baseball writer, and I am sure if I looked at the cover of his MLB guide I would have been hard pressed to recognize someone aside from Bonds in 2003)

That will hurt (I think) when it comes to the Hall vote. Yes, fans don't vote, but the writers to tend to reflect the popular world out there.

And please, PLEASE, refute on this. Tell me, hey, I lived in North Dakota and we heard all the time how great Brooks was. Tell me, he had highlight reels on Sportscenter.

7. Della9250

I don't think that's going to matter. Public opinion almost never affects those voters. They do whatever they want.

If they followed what fans wanted a lot of finalists would have been in long ago.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

True...if they followed fans...Tebow would have been in last year.

Let me rephrase...the voters are human too and tend to go with the flashier guys from popular teams. At least historically. They have been making a lot of picks in the past few years that were not this way.

But there is a reason guys like Tommy Nobis and Randy Gradishar are not in the Hall.

And yes, Brooks has more pro bowls and all pros then those two, but they have great resumes as well and are not in.

9. Boom_70

I think that Brooks is a first ballet lock.

10. Della9250

The problem with the voting is that at this point, there are too many qualified candidates, even with them putting in the max five each summer.

How many guys in the last 10 years aren't hall of famers (Not counting Senior picks)? People are always going to get overlooked or "snubbed" when there are 20 potential hall of famers and only five slots a year.

Take the final 15 in 2011. They put in five. In the last two years, they put in six more. 11 of those 15 are in and the others still waiting are Bettis, Brown, Reed and Haley.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Carter was/is an insufferable douche

Draft saved Draft deleted