1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL draft running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 NFL draft/early entry running thread: Marcus Lattimore going pro

No. He's a true junior.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, crap, go back and redshirt next year while you rehab the injury and then play your senior year in 2014.

I just assumed he probably had already used the redshirt year and wouldn't have any more eligibility left.

3. Steak Snabler

Might as well make money while you're rehabbing.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, why would he want to get better rehab training and make a little money? Go back and play for free! SEC championship!

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good luck with that!! Get someone to pay you AND pay for your rehab while you do what?

It was like getting my employer to pay me while I was out with an injury. Wasn't gonna happen. And if I stayed gone very long, they'd give the job to someone else who was healthy.

6. Steak Snabler

We discussed it on the first page, but there's precedent for this: Willis McGahee. His injury occurred later, and was nearly as bad as Lattimore's was.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Doesn't your employer offer you sick time?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mallett and McCoy weren't high picks. These days, if you're not taken in the first round or maybe early second round, you can't be considered a high pick. There are a decent number of starters (Brees, Dalton, Kaepernick off the top of my head) who were high second-round picks... How many were taken in the third round or later?

9. Steak Snabler

Also, I don't think it's fair to say Mallett's "doing worse than" Ponder. He's sitting behind Tom Brady. What, you think Ponder would have beaten him out by now?

And to answer your question Mizzou, here's the list:

Tony Romo — undrafted
    Ryan Fitzpatrick — 7th round
    Tom Brady — 6th round
    John Skelton — 5th round
    Matt Schaub — 3rd round
    Russell Wilson — 3rd round

* Nick Foles was also a 3rd-round pick, but he's only the starter because Michael Vick (a first-round pick) got hurt.

So that's 81.2 percent of the league's starters (26 of 32) who were drafted in the 2nd round or higher, 78.1 percent if you count Foles.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You realize how short the career of the average NFL running back is? Redshirting commits hims to two more years of earning nothing and he doesn't get to the league until he's, what, around 24 years old? Hell, that's already ancient by running back standards. And if gets injured again in his 5th year, he's finished, he'll never earn a penny in pro football.

Leaving now makes sense in light of his options and potential risks. The window to earn money as an RB is mighty short, this potentially gets him two more years of at least making something.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah. Was going to comment on this, but Mizzu beat me to it - McCoy was a 3rd round pick. No way that qualifies as high.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I need to go back and actually watch that game to appreciate the plays involved without feeling sick to my stomach for 3.5 hours.

Draft saved Draft deleted