1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was the belief when Gruden was in Tampa that he didn't want to use young quarterbacks and was unwilling to use a high pick on one. Supposedly the closest he came was in 2005 when he picked Cadillac Williams over Aaron Rodgers.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He's not?

3. Mizzougrad96

McClain is as good as they get and the Texans rarely make a move without letting him know (I mean that as an extremely high compliment) so I'm guessing that list is more than idle speculation.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I was going to ask that too, but in nine seasons his teams made the playoffs five times and won double-digit games four times. So "not a bad head coach" is about right.

Doesn't mean he is a good head coach, of course.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

One thing Gruden never got a lot of credit for was his ability to get good mileage out of Gannon and Johnson. I have to think there is a back-up, lost-his-luster QB out there who could do similar things, with Houston or any team.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You mean like Matt Schaub?

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm almost positive he's over .500 for his career and I think he has a better overall record than Gruden.

He still shouldn't be more than a backup choice.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's probably fair. Maybe I just can't get the image out of my head of the stunned, blank look on his face in the last couple minutes of a game.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can do anything with Schaub at this point, new HCs want "their" guy behind center. But I remember being surprised the Raiders brought in Gannon. A different veteran qb in Houston though, in a division where the longest tenured qb would had 32 starts or so, might be able to make something happen.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Phillips is 82-59 in the regular season, but 1-5 in the playoffs. Only playoff win was over the Eagles in 2009.

11. Mizzougrad96

Right. I don't think he gets this job unless they are turned down a few times. Assuming Houston gets the No. 1 pick, you would think they would favor hiring an offensive-minded coach to work with Bridgewater, but that's not always the case (Carolina, Indy...)

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

In a world in which Norv Turner got multiple shots to be a head coach (Hell, Romeo MF Crennel did too), does Kubiak get another shot?

Draft saved Draft deleted