1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 NFL Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I forget which coach he was told he would have to fire in Denver, maybe it was the DC. When a coach refuses like that, he's basically daring the owner to fire him. I don't think he would do that in Washington, at least not after this season.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Shanahan wants to be around next year. It's RG3's third year, which is typically do-or-die time. And he gets a full salary cap to bring in some players on defense. He knows the Redskins could be really good next year and he wants to be around for it. I can't imagine he'd risk that just so he could keep some dumb special teams coach or Haslett. But again, if so? Cya, Shanny.

3. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I would think he would want to see what he could do with a healthy RG3 and I think he wants to be in a situation where he can get Kyle a head coaching job.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The owner who hires Kyle Shanahan as a head coach automatically becomes the dumbest owner in NFL history. That guy is clueless and insecure and the source of all of Mike's problems.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, Bob Slowik. And Bowlen felt he had lost control of the organization to the Mastermind, so there were a lot of egos involved, naturally.

The end of that season was an absolute abortion. Had to win one of their last three games and didn't, including a gag at home to Buffalo then got bulldozed 52-21 at San Diego. Gone 36 hours later.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Barring a complete miracle, Munchak is already gone in Nashville.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, the thought of him as a possible head coach is mind-blowing, but it wouldn't be the first time an owner hired an idiot to be head coach. I know his name came up for a couple openings last season, but I don't know if he ever interviewed anywhere.

8. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, losing your job for Bob Slowik is insane. The only thing worse would be losing your job because the GM won't let you hire your brother to be DC (Schottenheimer).

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't think there will be as much turnover as the past few years. Most of the bad teams have coaches in their first or second years or went in the tank (Atlanta, Houston, Baltimore) suddenly after several good seasons in which they got contract extensions or have owners who don't care as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Frazier got a contract extension in Minnesota after last season, so not sure if ownership wants to eat that much coin for the sake of a team that is rebuilding and is probably going to struggle for a couple of years no matter who the coach is.

My guess for changes right now would be:

1) Miami, because of the Jonathan Martin mess

2) Tennessee

3) Tampa Bay

4) NY Giants (I've figured for a couple of years that this was Coughlin's last season)

10. Mizzougrad96

Am I crazy to think that Kubiak is less likely to be canned because of the health issues he had?

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No, I totally agree. I don't think they would fire a guy two months after he collapsed on the field. If anything, they might coax him into early retirement or give him a front office job. He got a contract extension either two years ago or last year (can't remember which). So if he's good enough to get an extension then, is he so bad you need to fire him now?

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Are you thinking Coughlin quits or gets fired?

'Cause he won't get fired. Especially since the Giants might very well win the NFC East.

Draft saved Draft deleted