1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 National League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe, Sep 19, 2013.

?

Who ya got?

1. Andrew McCutchen, Pirates

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Yadier Molina, Cardinals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Matt Carpenter, Cardinals

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Xan, I'm pretty sure that if Grilli weren't on the team, the Pirates wod go ahead and have someone else pitch the ninth rather than forfeit. And that person would save 80-90 percent of the games too.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Which Melancon did while Grilli was on the DL.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nothing, but he's desperate to try to prove his foolish statement.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, which is one of the many aspects of this that Xan just isn't understanding.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What the fuck are you talking about value?

From A to Z, McCutchen is the MVP.

From A to the end of July, Jason Grilli was every bit as as important.

That's been the entire point.

You know who doesn't get the MVP if Grilli would have sucked and the Pirates just sort of floundered for the first 3 months and not been a contender by August 1? Andrew McCutchen.

Steak: The last 3 full years. Which eliminates Simmons.

LTL, and OOP: You can keep saying I don't understand and look foolish doing it. I understand the dynamics. I understand someone else would start the 9th. That doesn't guarantee a save. That Melancon became an instant star at closer adds to the storyline.

We can play this game, too, but there's probably no right answer: August 1 rolls around. The Pirates start with Melancon at closer, but that fizzles. And then the next guy gets his chance, and fizzles, and well, the Pirates can't find someone to close games with any consistency and they finish 79-83 -- and (for theoretical sake) McCutchen has the same stats.

Is he still the MVP?

6. Steak Snabler

I answered that. It's Heyward.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, of course he is still the mvp

8. Songbird

To be fair, only one team has a save percentage better than 80 -- 83% by the Rangers.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/sort/savePct/type/expanded/order/true

The greatest closer in history blew 3 saves in 3 nights not too long ago. The Yanks are 3 games out of the final playoff spot. If they are on the outside looking in, that will be one of the big moments of the season. For 3 nights the team did everything in its power to get to the 9th only to watch Mariano let them down.

That's what makes the Pirate story good -- they've had 2 closers. For the first 120 days, they really needed the first guy. He was doing his thing while the MVP was doing his. That, along with the second closer (and the other players doing their things), is why Pittsburgh's in the playoffs.

That was the entire point.

New post reply: JC, no way. He doesn't even finish top 5 if the Bucs are 79-83.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Than voters are idiots Xan. You can't control your teammates

10. Songbird

You're right. But when's the last time a 79-83 team (or something basically similar) had an MVP?

11. Steak Snabler

Albert Pujols was the last MVP from a non-playoff team, in 2008 when the Cardinals were 86-76 and finished in fourth place.

Pretty sure the last MVP from a losing team was Andre Dawson with the Cubs in 1987.

EDIT: It was A-Rod for the 2003 Rangers, who were 71-91.

12. Songbird

If the Bucs were 79-83 and Cutch had 37 homers, 116 RBIs, a .357 average, .653 slugging%, 1.114 OPS, 100 runs, 44 doubles and 100 walks, with a .996 fielding percentage, I'd heavily consider voting him MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted