1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 National League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by joe, Sep 19, 2013.

?

Who ya got?

1. Andrew McCutchen, Pirates

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. Yadier Molina, Cardinals

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Matt Carpenter, Cardinals

1 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. joe

joe Active Member

Despite the Pirates losing three consecutive games to the Padres, it seems as if McCutchen is the early leader in the clubhouse. His two-run homer Wednesday night could have been all that it took, but then Pittsburgh lost the game, so who knows?

If he hadn't gotten hurt, I think this would have been Molina's year — but with the way Carpenter has played, Molina might not even be the MVP of his own team.

Goldschmidt is about all the Diamondbacks have.

Kershaw is most definitely the ace of the Dodgers rotation and probably their most valuable player. I don't really think a pitcher belongs in the conversation for MVP, but I know others do.

Who you got? And I'm especially interested to hear from folks who have a vote and their reasoning behind it.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think it's a 2-person race between Cutch and Yadi.

I'm apt to say McCutchen.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

McCutchen will win and probably should. I'd go Goldschmidt No. 2.

And Freddie Freeman will finish in the Top 5. He's been the best, most consistent player on the best team (or the team with the best record, anyway) and that usually resonates with voters.

4. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

McCutchen in August: .384/.483/.535
    McCutchen in September: .415/.523/.717

He is absolutely carrying this team right now. Not to mention he's been every bit the gold glove fielder.

If anyone else wins MVP, it's a crime, even if the Pirates pull an epic chokejob and miss the playoffs.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

McCutcheon; Yadier unfortunately has missed time, Cutch has not (of course he's not catching.)

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

McCutchen, for all the reasons stated above. Goldschmidt is No. 2, Molina a close No. 3.

Or vice versa. I think all three have strong cases. But I think it's McCutchen's to lose, and as mjp1542 pointed out ... he ain't losing it.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ryan Braun would win it if voters weren't biased.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When McCutchen wins it, it will match the longest period between African-Americans winning an MVP since Jackie Robinson won in 1949. The other six-year gap was between 1979 (Willie Stargell) and 1985 (Willie McGee).

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think my order would go

1. McCutchen
    2. Goldschmidt
    3. Molina
    4. Kershaw
    5. Votto
    6. Freeman
    7. Carpenter
    8. Fernandez
    9. Choo
    10. Werth

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

God damn right!

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It was one thing to say Puig hadn't played enough to be in the All-Star Game.

This is different, though. He's played 97 games, 407 plate appearances, 63 runs, 119 hits, 21 doubles, 18 homers, 41 RBIs, 11 stolen bases and a .331 average not to mention his defense.

No one can argue against the Dodger explosion coinciding with Puig's call-up.

We always get into the same semantic argument over the "Valuable" part of MVP and what it means exactly, but what the Dodgers did after Puig came up -- and many nights BECAUSE of Puig -- makes him a pretty viable candidate.

Draft saved Draft deleted