1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2013 Mustang; Giddy up.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Just introduced yesterday at the LA Auto Show.

The Shelby GT 500 produces from it's stock V-8 engine........

Sit down for this.......

650 Horsepower.

To give you an idea.......12 more hp than the souped up vette, 100 more hp than a viper.

I've ridden in several Vipers, driven 1. THAT is an amazing vehicle.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Drooling.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

IIRC, that's only 100 hp less than a Sprint Cup car. Holy schneikes that's a lot of power.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

That sounds amazing. For a company that was near death several years ago, Ford can't do anything wrong right now.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The pictures:

BTW; I love the blue.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1111_2013_ford_shelby_gt500_and_2013_mustang_lineup/large_photo_15.html

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

If Chevy and Ford were smart, they'd require drivers go through advanced driver training before taking delivery. That much horsepower can get you in trouble real quick, especially if drivers are expecting it to drive like their old Z28 or GT.
    Kudos to Ford and Chevy for keep topping each other, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these cars meet an untimely death.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My uncle just bought a new Camaro SS.

As much as I would love to be behind the wheel of one of these machines, I can't see the need for driving 180 MPH, in my opinion.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was a Pony guy for about 23 years. I loved them for a while. '68 for 6, '88 GT, '88 GT Conv., '66 conv. (fully restored ground up), then 2001 GT conv.

I then got an Infiniti G35 and there is no comparison in terms of handling or interior fit and finish. I guess if you go 650 hp, you just want that straight line speed. I love the look and sound of the new 'Stang, but just cannot see it being worth what they are selling it at.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

That's just what Porsche is doing here in SoCal. It's just announced it will be building a test facility/adult playground for customers:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_19351917

10. The retro-look Mustang has been a big hit over the past 5-6 years, and the Shelby is off the charts awesome. I was not a big fan of the auto bailouts at the time, but I grudgingly have to admit they worked.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Ford didn't take a bailout; GM and Chrysler did. Also, the Camaro has been outselling the Mustang since being reintroduced. If the Camaro was say 400 pounds lighter, it would have a chance at winning on the track as well.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

My first car, which I still own, was a 66 Mustang. I was a Thunderbird man through the 90s but have been driving a Ranger ever since. If I were to go back to a car, I'd love one of these new Mustangs.

I hope the U.S. auto industry is beginning a revival for the economy's sake but also to reinsert themselves truly into racing.

Draft saved Draft deleted